Spur nubs keep bleeding

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Two weeks later, my eighteen month old Buff Brahma roo Penrod's spur nubs still haven't hardened.

On Dec, 19th, I removed his one-inch spurs by twisting them off. There was considerable bleeding at the time, and they bled for almost an hour afterward. He has continued to injure the nubs, causing fresh bleeding each time. Today, I was simply hugging him and as he settled in close to me, his spurs rubbed on my pants leg, causing fresh bleeding - so much, I had to change my wet pants.

Is there anything I can do to hasten the hardening process? I've removed spurs from two other roos, and had no bleeding problems.

I can't imagine why they'd still bleed so easily. Maybe a Vitamin K supplement is in order, like they sometimes give roosters before they dub them to keep bleeding at a minimum? Rooster Booster makes one. I'm at a loss. Hopefully, someone will have another suggestion.

No, I haven't tried to cover his spur nubs with anything, except Bag Balm following the "operation". What should I cover them with? What would stay on?

No problem. If my chickens have a bleedie place then I use one of these.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom