Squatting chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chquinta, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Chquinta

Chquinta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    I went to the coop today to check the chickens and normally they won't let me touch them but 1 of the Reds and 1 EE got close and I went to pet them and she like bowed or squatted and they have been talking very loud. Does this mean they are ready to start laying. Does any one have pics of their chicks squatting.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Sounds like it to me! You shall be getting eggs very soon![​IMG]

3. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    Great I have 4 chicks 2 reds and 2 EE's the other EE sqautted to but only when cornered and the other red just runs won't let me at all. I have beating boxes in there but none of them that I have seen have entered just tryed to pull the hat out.

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Ok that kind of changes things. When you say chicks, how old are they? they won't start laying before they are at least 24 weeks. The EE if it is younger, she may just be submitting to you or if you are going for her back, it's an instinctual reaction to a perceived aerial predator.

5. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    Sorry yes there are all about 24-25 weeks. I was trying my to type out the whole word.

6. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    ok then, it's just about egg time. [​IMG]

7. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    So today I woke up went to check on them and only saw 3 of them I went looking and my white EE is in her nesting box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by