Squatting chickens

Chquinta

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
Moss Hill, Texas
I went to the coop today to check the chickens and normally they won't let me touch them but 1 of the Reds and 1 EE got close and I went to pet them and she like bowed or squatted and they have been talking very loud. Does this mean they are ready to start laying. Does any one have pics of their chicks squatting.

I went to the coop today to check the chickens and normally they won't let me touch them but 1 of the Reds and 1 EE got close and I went to pet them and she like bowed or squatted and they have been talking very loud. Does this mean they are ready to start laying. Does any one have pics of their chicks squatting.

Sounds like it to me! You shall be getting eggs very soon!
thumbsup.gif

Great I have 4 chicks 2 reds and 2 EE's the other EE sqautted to but only when cornered and the other red just runs won't let me at all. I have beating boxes in there but none of them that I have seen have entered just tryed to pull the hat out.

Great I have 4 chicks 2 reds and 2 EE's the other EE sqautted to but only when cornered and the other red just runs won't let me at all. I have beating boxes in there but none of them that I have seen have entered just tryed to pull the hat out.

Ok that kind of changes things. When you say chicks, how old are they? they won't start laying before they are at least 24 weeks. The EE if it is younger, she may just be submitting to you or if you are going for her back, it's an instinctual reaction to a perceived aerial predator.

Back
Top Bottom