St Patrick Day Hatchalong!

skidoolady

Songster
5 Years
Feb 7, 2017
Manitoba
75D94440-96DE-4170-A3F4-5B66660FEC57.jpeg

My first crack at incubating- went in this afternoon! If all goes well we’ll have some little chickies for St.Patties Day!

I put 17 in this afternoon, five of mine and a dozen from another local farm. Our oldest cockerel is four months old. He mates with our mature hens regularly, and we cracked a few open to check and we think they’re fertile, but not 100% sure, hence the extra dozen. I had a horrible hatch last month, four chicks from 41 eggs. I peg a lot of that failure on inconsistent temperature, so now I have four thermometers and am still stressing about it. I actually don’t have any eggs directly under the heat anymore; getting the corners warm enough means the center is too hot.

Anyway, best of luck with your hatch!
D6407F82-98E5-47E9-BD20-039E699B3531.jpeg

Pretty Coloured eggs you have.
Have you considered a digital reptile thermometer? They’re pretty cheap and available on amazon or eBay and are very accurate (-/+.5*). I have heard they are supposed to be more accurate than a Mercury thermometer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162058689658

Keep me posted with your candling![/QUOTE]
I have that exact one, actually, though it needs a new battery. I think I’m good with thermometers. I don’t think this is a calibration issue. It’s just that whichever thermometer I put anywhere, and I do move them around randomly, it’s only warm enough in part of the incubator and not the rest. I rotate to compensate for the cool spots, but I’m just frustrated that the incubator won’t work like it’s supposed to. You get what you pay for, though, I suppose. I’m upping the temp in increments hoping to find a sweet spot where it can really be 101.5 in the center and 99.5 at the edge of the eggs, forget the rest of the incubator. Or at least closer than it is.

Personally, I wouldn’t guess Polish, I think they have the “devil horn” looking combs. I would guess maybe part Icelandic. They can have the little poof on the head like that and they are a small bird.

Personally, I wouldn’t guess Polish, I think they have the “devil horn” looking combs. I would guess maybe part Icelandic. They can have the little poof on the head like that and they are a small bird.
Wow, that would be exciting. Icelandics are beautiful. I have several from the same orchard flock with crests. These ones were the most dramatic, though I have just the white pullet still. I thought Polish just because they are small and I know many people have them for the novelty.
052C1C05-B4B8-425C-914F-79DDDEC57934.jpeg

I candled tonight. 16/17 are fertile, including all five from our cockerel.

How are yours coming?

Hello!
Sorry I’ve been MIA! I finally candled last night and only three look like they’re clearly growing. Two eggs I can’t see threw the shell but I see a defined air cell. So that was a bit of a shocker that there were so few but even a few chicks will be lovely.

Back
Top Bottom