Staggered hatch help please!

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Ok so, background info is I had a broody that switched nests after about a week of setting. I moved them to the incubator to try and save them. They all appeared to at least have veining at that point, but they were all at different stages as she'd been secretly adding to her clutch.

started sitting 3/17
Eggs found cold and moved to bator 3/25

4/6- I candled and moved the ones that were so full of chick you could barely see anything, over to a different bator, and put that one into lockdown.

I realize today that it's actually day 22 from when she first started sitting, and I moved them/stopped turning very late. Did I kill them? Nothing is pipped, I don't hear any peeping.

It's been a minimum of 14 days now since I put them in the bator, so they should all be at the very least 16 days old since I at least saw veining in all of them before putting them in. Should I go ahead and put the others into lockdown as well? It might be a day or two early for the younger ones, but the older ones it should be just about time.

I only have 2 bators so my options are to put the younger ones into lockdown together, or to interrupt the current lockdown to move the next oldest over.

I'm lost, please help. Lol. I never planned on incubating at all this year but I just couldn't help but try to save the little ones my broody started.

I wouldn’t do it keep the two batches separate since the first batch is already in lockdown. When you brought them in from the broody it stopped incubation so the days will probably be off

ive never had an issue when im lost as to where theyre at, just waiting till i see a pip to stop turning them .. it wont kill them .. more often than not fresh hatches are kicking the eggs around and playing soccer in there with them anyway, but i try to use something to prop them in place once the action starts ...

Back
Top Bottom