Started my chicken coop today!!!! Pic Heavy (maybe)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brandibaby23, Dec 17, 2009.

1. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    I just got the DH (Dear Honey) and dear brother to get materials and start building today, We have gotten many things for free from generous individuals. I will be thanking them at the completion of the coop!!! I am SO EXCITED!!!! I been wanting a coop since last summer!!!!!
    So here is the first picture.......This is the space for the chickies.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the floor starting.......aren't they in the Christmas spirit!!!

[​IMG]
    This is the roof going up.......Dear friend also stopped by to help!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    This is the roof done for now and the floor getting leveled. This was all done today so far and I can't get them to come in, and it is 20 degrees out there!!!!! I will update with more pictures as they get stuff done. Root them on guys!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Woo-hoo! Can't wait to see it finished. They've gotten a good start.

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Excellent! I think you had best get the cookies and hot toddies ready!

4. brandibaby23

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    Yea I better do something nice or it won't get finished tomorrow!!! You know since you mentioned hot toddies, what exactly are those I asked about them the other day!!!! [​IMG]

5. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Half a coffee cup of boiling water, stir in a squeeze of lemon and a glob of honey (or sugar), add a shot or two of whiskey. Hot Toddy!
    Wonderful for a head cold and/or sore throat. Also just for drinking on a cold night.

6. brandibaby23

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    HA thanks I guess ya learn something new everyday!!!! [​IMG] They are still out side have almost one wall completely up!!!! We are using "skid lids" for the walls, torn apart. We got a bunch of them for free.

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Ok, I gotta ask and I KNOW everyone else wants to know too.......

What room is the little window in that will now open up inside the hen house?

Inquiring minds need to know. [​IMG]

8. brandibaby23

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    That is a room in the house like a work shop, our furnace is also in there, that way I can just peep out the window without going outside [​IMG] to check on the girls, I'm hoping the heat from that room might just give them a tab bit of heat as well, and I have an outlet right under the window on the inside in case I need light or heat out there.

9. boston3381

boston3381 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    nice start on the coop cant weight to see it finished:D

on a side note you can cut a dryer vent on the side of your house and add a small fan (in side the house with a trap door)
    then use the heat from your house to keep them worm:cool:

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:That is the window which may someday provoke this type of exchange: "All right! Who did that? No one? Then somone has left that *#*#*# window open again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by