Starting to get paranoid about using things like diatomaceous earth on my chickens :(

Pics

Disintegration

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
So, after revisiting some articles warning about the dangers of Diatomaceous Earth, and now I've successfully managed to freak myself out over chemicals that could make me sick.

Any reccomendations for things to prevent mites that won't kill
me in the future? This kind of stuff manages to freak me out a lot, so using better products would be more reassuring :)

Lots of us use Permethrin Dust, or spray to treat our birds for mites/lice. Diatomaceous Earth as little too no effectiveness against the bugs.

It's harmless to the birds, & no egg withdrawal period.

Like other pest control products, wash hands, & clothes after use, or wear protective gear to avoid washing things, & keeping it out of your eyes, & off your skin.

Lots of us use Permethrin Dust, or spray to treat our birds for mites/lice. Diatomaceous Earth as little too no effectiveness against the bugs.

It's harmless to the birds, & no egg withdrawal period.

Like other pest control products, wash hands, & clothes after use, or wear protective gear to avoid washing things, & keeping it out of your eyes, & off your skin.
I'll have to look into that.

Permethrin isn't a preventative - if you don't have mites, no benefit in using it. It may be relatively harmless to the birds, but will kill bugs both detrimental and beneficial, like bees.
I didn't see the prevent portion of the post until now, but it can help reduce the mites if they're there when used routinely when it's needed.

Permethrin isn't a preventative
Yes, using an insecticide as a preventative can actually create resistance,
so it won't work if and when you really need it.

So, after revisiting some articles warning about the dangers of Diatomaceous Earth, and now I've successfully managed to freak myself out over chemicals that could make me sick.

Any reccomendations for things to prevent mites that won't kill
me in the future? This kind of stuff manages to freak me out a lot, so using better products would be more reassuring :)
Sounds like maybe you are paranoid about mites too.....or do your birds actually have them?

Check your birds regularly, then treat if necessary(using permethrin, not DE).

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

now I've successfully managed to freak myself out over chemicals that could make me sick.
Then don't use chemicals unless you actually have a need. If you have a need use something specifically for that purpose in a safe way.

As Aart mentioned, by using chemicals when you don't have to you are helping create strains harder to treat so you need nastier chemicals to manage them when they do show up.

As Rosemary said, using chemicals can harm beneficials and the environment. It's not just the bees, fish and such in water are really susceptible to rainwater runoff so follow directions. Don't fall for the trap of absolutely soaking everything, it usually doesn't take much to be effective. Follow directions and only treat when you need to.

Back
Top Bottom