As long as they are active when the room light (not heat lamp) is on they are ok.
Piling up to sleep in a heap is normal.

Peeping loudly and constantly is a sign of distress. If they aren't hollering all is ok.

Pics of the new poorly feeling bird? Try for a pic of the whole bird standing or sitting on her own....not being held.
Pics of the crop that looks overstuffed too please.

Did we get pics of the brooder set up?
I only just turned off the room light maybe 30 minutes ago and first noticed something was very wrong about three hours ago, so the inactive behavior doesn't have to do with the darkness.

There is no excessive peeping, but I am telling you, three hours ago her body was basically limp and motionless in my hand, she has definitely improved. I almost feel like her lack of energy and noise is worse.

Is excessive peeping typically associated with overheating? If so, that makes me question the heat stroke diagnosis even more.

I mentioned the piled up chicks as a good thing! I am happy they are cuddled up, it means they are warm and happy :)

I can go in and take pics now, but I would need to wake them and take out the sick chick again, which could further stress her out? But if you think thats okay, I am happy to do it.

Can you go in, turn the room light on and take a few pics.

The brooder itself so we can see where the heat lamp is currently and size of the brooder.
Yes pics of the chick will help us to help you. Just 2-3 pics are needed. The chick itself whether standing or laying and that crop.

Please understand that coincidences happen, and it doesn't necessarily mean you've done anything wrong. It would be helpful to see a photo of this fat chick in relation to the normal size chicks.

I'm wondering if the chick is suffering from edema (fluid buildup) and isn't fat. The cause could be genetic and is only now manifesting. If so, electrolytes would be dangerous to give this chick.

If this chick only had the large, hard crop, I would suggest giving it some coconut oil for possible crop impaction and constipation. But it would be better not to add to the things at this time that this chick has consumed.

What I suggest is wait until morning, withhold food for tonight, and check the crop in the morning to see if it's still full and hard. Then treat with the oil if it is.

All chickens suffer when they experience temperature extremes that come on suddenly. Sometimes, it's unavoidable, but if possible, they need acclimatizing. Last month my chickens faced a temperature drop in just hours from high 90s down to low 20s. I stuck a heater in their coop for that night to mitigate the extreme temperature spread. Just something to keep in mind.
Thank you for that reassurance. It just feels improbable that she would be fine and healthy for four weeks on a farm and then die within 48 hours in my care! I feel like it has to be something I am exposing her to.

Is there anything I can do about the fluid buildup? I will definitely get her off the electrolytes and supplements. I cant remove all the food unless I clean out their whole coop tonight (as its scattered throughout), but hopefully they will be sleeping not eating. Of course, if you think its necessary for me to do so I can.

I also have coconut oil here, but will hold off until the morning.

This extreme temperature shift is definitely avoidable, the hatchery where she came from is only 45 min away so the outdoor temps are the same, I just had them under a strong heat lamp in our warm home. I did already turn off the heat lamp and the room has cooled down to around 65º, which is definitely warmer than being outside at 40º but a less drastic drop from 85º today. I am not about to throw them outside in the coop! Its just strange they weren't panting or chirping to express overheating.

The brooder itself so we can see where the heat lamp is currently and size of the brooder.
Yes pics of the chick will help us to help you. Just 2-3 pics are needed. The chick itself whether standing or laying and that crop.
Okay, these are terrible photos but I tried moving very quickly and made the setup look much more depressing than it is. The lighting is terrible. Also, in the last one her head is turned away from the camera, she isn't headless!

She was the only one who didn't chirp when I entered the room. She barely wants to stand up on her own, I had to prop her up but when I put her back in the coop she walked back to the rest of them to cuddle up and go back to bed. As stated, the heat lamp has already been turned off, but clearly they are wanting it.

Attachments

• IMG_8057.jpeg
    IMG_8057.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8058.jpeg
    IMG_8058.jpeg
    696.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8059.jpeg
    IMG_8059.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8061.jpeg
    IMG_8061.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8063.jpeg
    IMG_8063.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8065.jpeg
    IMG_8065.jpeg
    388.2 KB · Views: 28
Okay, these are terrible photos but I tried moving very quickly and made the setup look much more depressing than it is. The lighting is terrible. Also, in the last one her head is turned away from the camera, she isn't headless!

She was the only one who didn't chirp when I entered the room. She barely wants to stand up on her own, but when I put her back in the coop she walked back to the rest of them to cuddle up and go back to bed

Looks like she needs to rest and digest. I bet she will be feeling much better in the morning.

Leave the heat lamp off and see how they do. If they start peeping loudly check on them of course. I bet they just go to bed and sleep quietly.

Okay, I posted
Looks like she needs to rest and digest. I bet she will be feeling much better in the morning.

Leave the heat lamp off and see how they do. If they start peeping loudly check on them of course. I bet they just go to bed and sleep quietly.
Okay, it seems like thats all I can do for now anyways.. I just dont understand why she won't stand! She was fine when I picked her up from the hatchery two days ago! I hope she's just weak and will recover? Did you notice anything wrong with the pics?

Okay, I posted

Okay, it seems like thats all I can do for now anyways.. I just dont understand why she won't stand! She was fine when I picked her up from the hatchery two days ago! I hope she's just weak and will recover? Did you notice anything wrong with the pics?

I have had the occasional bird that stuffed themselves and had a huge crop. It looks to me like she just made a pig of herself. Being sleepy may be because she ate so much.
With solid sides on the brooder and where the heat lamp is it is possible she did indeed get to warm. Solid sides hold in the heat somewhat.

Just a thought for the future:
if you want to put electrolytes and vitamins in the water, maybe provide a second waterer with plain water. Sometimes chickens do a really good job of choosing the right option for themselves, if we give them a choice.

(For now, plain water only. That's an idea for the future, any time you think that adding stuff to the water "might" help.)

Back
Top Bottom