Starved Gosling is growing, but paws are bowing.

I don’t know what’s available in your country but Calc-phos, calcium phosphorus supplements for humans or dogs is used to treat rickets in birds, ground up eggshells or oyster shell are another source of calcium.

basically in birds lag problems are usually an issue with not enough of the Bs or E, bowing legs is typical of a calcium or Vitamin D3 deficiency.

As for correcting the curve that’s already occurred, in humans a splint is usually used, Ive heard chicken owners haven’t had much luck with that but it’s worth a try.

The curve can predispose them to slipping a tendon more easily which could become a problem. Slipped tendon can be corrected if caught early but curving bones make that more difficult. If it comes to him losing his mobility you could get him a cart to scoot around in, I’ve seen some people with handicapped geese do the same. The geese seem to be happy but it’s a very different life than what is normal for a goose and it requires a lot more care which is something to consider, if it’s feasible or not, quality of life is most important. 😔

It definitely looks like rickets. keep giving him the b vitamins but get him some human vitamin E capsules As soon as possible.
Oh..
Alright, I can get the just vitamin E in farmacy.. but I found this for birds that would arrive in 2 days, or i better stick to one of humans?:
dassa.jpg

I also have liquid vitamin D for myself.. i don't mind sharing it if it helps...

Nearby farm was giving me some of their supplements that had to have vitamins, but I assume I better get something stronger and that functions for sure.

It definitely looks like rickets. keep giving him the b vitamins but get him some human vitamin E capsules As soon as possible.
By checking now I have in hand liquid vitamin D3 of 25 000. Am not sure if it's too much for him, but am full of it for myself and take 1 per week.

As for correcting the curve that’s already occurred, in humans a splint is usually used, Ive heard chicken owners haven’t had much luck with that but it’s worth a try.

The curve can predispose them to slipping a tendon more easily which could become a problem. Slipped tendon can be corrected if caught early but curving bones make that more difficult. If it comes to him losing his mobility you could get him a cart to scoot around in, I’ve seen some people with handicapped geese do the same. The geese seem to be happy but it’s a very different life than what is normal for a goose and it requires a lot more care which is something to consider, if it’s feasible or not, quality of life is most important. 😔
😢 oh no, that is not good at all.. Can i still fix him enough to at least have him walk even if weird? He still is not fully grown...

Treating rickets requires 3 times the normal dosage of D3 a day for 2 weeks, for hens that’s around 600 mg a day until they’ve recovered. I think the 250000 iu may be too low.

Back
Top Bottom