Starving/Dehydrated birds

The Chickens' Maid

Crowing
14 Years
May 2, 2009
CT
Does it seem to anyone else that there have been more posts about starved/thin/dehydrated chickens in the past week with no apparent causes? I'm wondering if there could be a pattern with the locations of these instances? I don't frequent the emergencies forum too much, anyone's insight would be appreciated!

Personally I feel that too many, unprepared people got into the chicken craze. Everyone but little fuzzy butts ( oh they're so cute!) but when they started getting older and needed things like lice and mite killer and everyone found out how much work they really are some people just let everything go to heck and now there are a lot of free, unhealthy chickens out there. I've noticed it on Craig's list myself.

or worms
idunno.gif

Thanks for responding! I just wanted to make sure that I was just paranoid, and that there wasn't anything to worry about, like a virus or something. Thanks again!

I have had hens in my back yard for 20 years. My birds have never been ill. There has been an occasional cases of mites or lice but when you contract something like this you learn fast. My hens are an investment of my time and a vital part of home as providers of food. I learned a lesson recently, to look inside their mouths as well as looking over their bodies. I watch their behavior regularly and know what each birds' habit and personality is in my flock. I am the owner and the rooster.

I am very concerned about all these sick birds dieing. I thought my first two were from old age. But as they kept dieing I know it is more.

My birds are clean, there is no lice or worms. My county has prevalent cases of Canker in wild doves and pigeons. I was told it can affect other birds as well.

If this doesn't get controlled, counties and city ordinances will be changed to protect our food sources. And I will be very sad to loose this privilege of raising our own food.

We need to join together and work to educate the newer chicken owners. Keeping chickens is not a responsibility to take lightly. We need to save our flock!

Back
Top Bottom