HELP WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY HEN WILL SHE BE OKAY :(

If it is very hot I agree bring her in - but not somewhere very cold - chickens can get shock by a huge swing in temperature - but if she might have heat stroke I would bring her in.
How hot is it outside?

For the crop issue it is the early morning crop that is important. The crop is supposed to empty overnight. If it doesn't there is a crop issue. I am linking a good article on the topic.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If the crop is empty in the early morning then you can go on and look for other causes. How the crop feels in the afternoon is much less helpful - mine vary how they feel in the afternoon depending on what they have been eating. The morning crop examination is key.

What is her usual diet?
Age?
Last time she laid
If it is very hot I agree bring her in - but not somewhere very cold - chickens can get shock by a huge swing in temperature - but if she might have heat stroke I would bring her in.
How hot is it outside?

For the crop issue it is the early morning crop that is important. The crop is supposed to empty overnight. If it doesn't there is a crop issue. I am linking a good article on the topic.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If the crop is empty in the early morning then you can go on and look for other causes. How the crop feels in the afternoon is much less helpful - mine vary how they feel in the afternoon depending on what they have been eating. The morning crop examination is key.
Yeah it’s not too cold it’s just cool and fresh I don’t have the ac on cause that is very cold. It’s just a fan I put on. Today it wasn’t too hot it was 79 but the days before it was up to the 90s. And since there’s a heatwave. Okay I’ll keep checking on her crop and thank you so much for the article I’ll take a look into it I appreciate all your help again thank you so much I’ll keep updating on how she’s doing and if I have other questions :)

How hot is it outside?

I felt her crop in the morning and it’s full so I believe I’m dealing with a crop issue and I think it’s impacted crop because it’s quite full and hard feeling I have dealt with crop issues with her before but it’s been a while if you have any other recommendations do go ahead and tell me and thank you for the article it’s been so helpful 💗

I felt her crop in the morning and it’s full so I believe I’m dealing with a crop issue and I think it’s impacted crop because it’s quite full and hard feeling I have dealt with crop issues with her before but it’s been a while if you have any other recommendations do go ahead and tell me and thank you for the article it’s been so helpful 💗
I give coconut oil (easy to give if frozen in little blobs) and massage.
I also give cellulase supplements to help break down whatever is in there.
Also, just be aware that often a chicken with crop issues has other health issues as well.
Good luck - hope you can help her out with this.

I give coconut oil (easy to give if frozen in little blobs) and massage.
I also give cellulase supplements to help break down whatever is in there.
Also, just be aware that often a chicken with crop issues has other health issues as well.
Good luck - hope you can help her out with this.
yes I’ll give coconut oil to her it’s easier how much would I give her? and where/what brand for the cellulase supplement and how much would be given? And thank you so much 🫶

yes I’ll give coconut oil to her it’s easier how much would I give her? and where/what brand for the cellulase supplement and how much would be given? And thank you so much 🫶
For the coconut oil I froze littlr teaspoon size blobs and gave as much as the chicken would tolerate - usually about four. Some chickens love them and gobble them up.
On cellulase I just got a human supplement on line and gave a capsule a day.
And then I massaged for my for a good 15 mins to try and break up what was stuck in there.

For the coconut oil I froze littlr teaspoon size blobs and gave as much as the chicken would tolerate - usually about four. Some chickens love them and gobble them up.
On cellulase I just got a human supplement on line and gave a capsule a day.
And then I massaged for my for a good 15 mins to try and break up what was stuck in there.
Oh okay thank you
I’ll consider the cellulase if I can find it at my local store. The electrolytes I’ve been giving her have probiotics in them as well I’m not sure if with giving her that and I give her a cellulase capsule as well it would be too much??
Do you think I should give her a bit of some apple cider vinegar mixed with water?

Oh okay thank you
I’ll consider the cellulase if I can find it at my local store. The electrolytes I’ve been giving her have probiotics in them as well I’m not sure if with giving her that and I give her a cellulase capsule as well it would be too much??
Do you think I should give her a bit of some apple cider vinegar mixed with water?
I personally would not give apple cider vinegar in this situation.
I doubt you will find cellulase in a store - but you might - somewhere that does a lot of health supplements for humans. It is the enzyme that breaks down cellulose which is what the tough fiber that blocks up a chicken's crop is made of. It won't interfere with anything else.
I think good strong massage is probably the most effective intervention.

I doubt you will find cellulase in a store - but you might - somewhere that does a lot of health supplements for humans. It is the enzyme that breaks down cellulose which is what the tough fiber that blocks up a chicken's crop is made of. It won't interfere with anything else.
Okay thank you for telling me and I’ll look where the health supplements are to see if I find any. Yeah I agree the coconut oil and massage is what I’m gonna keep doing.

So, I’ve been giving her coconut oil and massaging her and she’s still being given the electrolytes and probiotics I was giving her before. I believe she’s doing better now in the morning she has an appetite to eat some feed she’s drinking water. Today she didn’t really drink so much water. But I’m starting to get worried because she isn’t eating well. She tends to eat watermelon still and she likes having mealworms too. I realized today I’m not sure if it was a burp but they smell kinda funny. In the morning she wakes up with full crop still but once it’s the end of the day it’s less full feeling and more watery/squishy like. I’m worried due to her not eating well I am aware it’s due to the crop issues at the moment. I haven’t had a chance to go to the store yet to look if there might be some cellulase but Im planning too. Is there anything else I should or not be doing?

Back
Top Bottom