HELP WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY HEN WILL SHE BE OKAY :(

chickychickss

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2023
Hi, so one of my hens has been acting differently
I’m not sure what’s wrong but I’ll explain the details.
She hasn’t been eating much she does eat certain things but not to much of it currently where I live there is a heat wave so I think maybe it’s because of that I have been giving her watermelon she takes a few pecks. But she hasn’t been eating her feed or drinking water enough of it… that concerns me because it’s so hot and she needs a lot of water. But it’s weird because the 2 days before she was drinking tons of water. So what I’ve been doing is giving her water with electrolytes
and probiotics for hens in a syringe it’s been 2 days today would be day 3 I wouldn’t say I see a change yet. She is being active but I’m concerned. She also seems lighter now and feels skinnier I’m not sure if that’s due to her not eating well or something else. I have checked if she has any worms etc… she doesn’t but I’ll keep checking her and her poo. And her crop does feel kinda squishy it’s not hard but I thought maybe she has sour crop or impacted crop?? Which she has gotten before and I’ve helped her. Her face also turns to a very light pink color almost pale but then it goes back to normal so I thought it was dehydration?? Due to why I’ve been giving her electrolytes and probiotics. I’m not sure if she has worms or sour crop or dehydration or all 3?!?! I have no idea but please can anyone help me for I can know what to do straight away I really want to help my girl.

There are many people more expert than me. But the first thing to do is feel her crop very early in the morning.
It should be empty.
If it isn’t then you are definitely dealing with a crop issue. That doesn’t mean she doesn’t also have other issues but it is at least easy to be sure about the crop by early morning examination.
While you are feeling her crop I would also check the skin around her vent, neck, wing pits to see if you see any parasites or parasite eggs.
Finally, are you able to get a vet to do a fecal test for you?

You can’t see all types of worms in poop. That’s why it’s useful to do the fecal float test, because that way they can determine if there are worms or an overload of coccidia.

There are many people more expert than me. But the first thing to do is feel her crop very early in the morning.
It should be empty.
If it isn’t then you are definitely dealing with a crop issue. That doesn’t mean she doesn’t also have other issues but it is at least easy to be sure about the crop by early morning examination.
While you are feeling her crop I would also check the skin around her vent, neck, wing pits to see if you see any parasites or parasite eggs.
Finally, are you able to get a vet to do a fecal test for you?
Yeah it isn’t empty it’s still squishy. I have checked her vent area and there’s nothing but I’ll check again and the other areas. and no I don’t think I can the only vet that can help chickens is very far from me. I’m not sure how much a fecal test is either.

Yeah it isn’t empty it’s still squishy. I have checked her vent area and there’s nothing but I’ll check again and the other areas. and no I don’t think I can the only vet that can help chickens is very far from me. I’m not sure how much a fecal test is either.
The fecal test shouldn't cost a lot - but some vets will only do it if they see the animal.
Others will just do it for you anyway. And they don't need to be chicken experts - it is the same test they do for cats and dogs and horses etc.

The fecal test shouldn't cost a lot - but some vets will only do it if they see the animal.
Others will just do it for you anyway. And they don't need to be chicken experts - it is the same test they do for cats and dogs and horses etc.
I’ll ask if any of the vets near me can do it. In the meantime what should I do?

Not sure what time it is for you but I second checking her crop first thing in the morning.

If it’s really hot you could bring her inside/somewhere cool and see if that revives her. Red foods like watermelon, strawberries, tomatoes etc can help with heat exhaustion.

The electrolytes are a good idea too.

Can you take a picture of her poop?

Feel her abdomen between her vent and her breastbone. Is there any swelling? Does it feel firm or squishy? Does she usually lay eggs?

Not sure what time it is for you but I second checking her crop first thing in the morning.

If it’s really hot you could bring her inside/somewhere cool and see if that revives her. Red foods like watermelon, strawberries, tomatoes etc can help with heat exhaustion.

The electrolytes are a good idea too.

Can you take a picture of her poop?

Feel her abdomen between her vent and her breastbone. Is there any swelling? Does it feel firm or squishy? Does she usually lay eggs?
It’s currently late in the afternoon for me. And yes I’ll keep checking her crop. Yes I have been bringing her indoors to cool down she usually eats some watermelon when I bring her inside but it’s only when I’m eating some she wants some!! Yes I’ll keep giving her the electrolytes. I currently have her indoors with me she hasn’t pooped yet but when she does I’ll send a photo. There doesn’t seem to be any swelling it doesn’t feel firm or squishy And no she hasn’t layed eggs in a while she’s almost 6 years old now :)

Back
Top Bottom