Stay home

I am more appalled at people who do NOT turn their cell phone OFF during a funeral!! The last several funerals I have been to at least one cell phone has went off and then the person tries to ignore it or can't find the phone in their purse.

I was 25 when I moved away from the small community I lived in all my life. I move 90 miles away in the same state and I learned people don't do things they way I was raised.

I went to my dd friend's dad's funeral. My dd was in the 3rd grade so I went with some of the teachers and I had worked with the mother at Children's Hospital before. We walked into the funeral home and 60's music was playing loudly and the only people dressed up were those of us from the school and the hospital. Everyone else were in jeans and t-shirt. This conservative Baptist woman was in shock. But he was a hippy and that's what he requested.

I agree that actions speaks volumes. I hate to see someone being obnoxious at a funeral.

jackie

Quote:
Yep, I agree with this. If it was in a place and area where suit and tie was the right thing, then go in suit in tie.

I went to a friends wedding, it was to be casual dress, and it was. The couple to be didn't even wear shoes!

Many moons ago, my future DH and I were co-habitating, I thought I should go to the hospital and tell his mom not to worry - we would be married because we loved each other - but I did not do it in time.

Betty Jane passed away before I became brave enough. Then I had to hold my SO together and prop him up. The day of the funeral arrived and I realized I had not done any laundry. The only thing I had clean and presentable was a white dress with red trim and dots. Well, that is what I wore.

Was I sorrowed about my future MIL passing? Yes - should my attire matter - NO!

When my grandmother passed we were all saddened and somber. But when a friend arrived in a heavy black funeral dress (she was from the midwest) we were amazed. The only thing you could wear that dress for was a funeral. If someone had arrived ready to go to the beach afterwards - we would have been less shocked.

Just from my SoCal perspective...BUT NO CELL PHONES!

I am 28 female from Alabama and my momma raised me better than that you Know!! I was taught from a young age that to go to church, funerals, or weddings to Dress Nicely, We just lose my Aunt not to long ago and her son dressed nicely, but we drove 1 1/2 to the cemetary with 10 people plus the funeral guys, to have her son as soon as they began to put her in the ground, tell his dad that he couldnot handle it and got in his car and left!! Wow, was all I could think my momma would have come up and smacked me you know!! The Son had been to 2 funerals in his life and never taught how to do anything to do with the funeral arrangements, songs, preachers, or anything! Lord help when his father passs away.

I was dressed in Black slacks (only to hide the Highlighter pink cast on my ankle and was in a wheelchair) and a black top ..

Friends Wedding 2-14 I wore a black skirt with a Purple fancy top! her groomsmen were in White shirts with bols(sp?) and black jeans she was in a beaitful white gown and her brides maids were in white and red dresses. ringbearer sames as grooms men and the flower girl was in boots jean skirt and a red top

Last edited:
Personally I always wear a suit to a funeral or wedding.

However, a wake the night before can be a challenge. I've showed
up to those in my greasy work uniform. It was either that or not go at
all.

Wearing the appropriate clothing is important. If someone wanted their
funeral to be a jeans and flannel even than that should be respected.

As for "Style over substance" I disagree. Taking the time to dress
properly and, knowing how to dress properly typically shows a persons
level of respect for themselves and the family at the funeral or event.

Quote:
i am sorry for your loss but you should be thankful that people showed up to pay their respect and not worry about the clothes that they are wearing

Quote:
Yep, I agree with this. If it was in a place and area where suit and tie was the right thing, then go in suit in tie.

I went to a friends wedding, it was to be casual dress, and it was. The couple to be didn't even wear shoes!

Yup. Around here I have only seen some people wear suits to a wedding. Most guys wear nice jeans and shirts. And yes, a cap or cowboy hat, which you take off when you go inside.

We always dress nicely to a funeral, but a lot of people dont wear suits. In fact, you probably would be considered a little preppy if you wore a suit very often.... local customs!

i agree it's a lifestyle thing, my gp won't have want a building full of uncomfortable people and stuffy, i think the first family members (dd,ds,dh,dw,db,ds,dm,df) should be dressed nice, but other should be clean and groomed, at gp service the great/grand kids were playing running laughing just like he would have wanted, men in jean and tuck in fannel shirts with going to town boots, even a possum, coon, and eagle showed up (not kidding) thank goodness for fences, noone remembers who was wearing what (unless it's hot pink, or red)

Back
Top Bottom