Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Today DW makes the final decision on the new house. I think it would be stupid for us not to buy it. If she doesn't love it, we won't do it. Zoot says it is worth 50Gs more than we would pay for it. But I would miss the chickens. I just love watching my little Dels and Aloha's. Boston took about 20 or so chickens back to Heber with him yesterday. I've promised 4 layers to some friends. Incredible how many I still have but at least 18 of the little ones have to be roos, right?

If we do decide to move, I'll only have until mid July to say goodbye to all of my girls. It's hot so they've cut down on their laying. Only got 8 yesterday.
  2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Dar, if you decide to move you have to keep a couple of girls! [​IMG]
  3. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I may have to do this too, though my 3+ year old girls love roaming the barns.

SO sorry Dar, I chose to take severance and be unemployed rather than give up my place and my chickens. I could have stayed with the company, but i would have had to move. Ugg - unemployed after 20 years[​IMG]
  4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Really, Dar, can you not see keeping three hens at the new place?

Just three? Three hens could fit ANYwhere!

I would be so bereft without ANY chickens! :(
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Or 6 bantams. They are only 1/2 a chicken after all. [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  6. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
  7. BlueWater29

BlueWater29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
  8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

How is Lukka doing with her adopted kids?

Interesting around here........... as usual. [​IMG]

The Icelandic boy growing out, that I just love.... he is missing. Gone. I have no idea what happened. I have looked for 2 days, and can not find him. [​IMG]

All these broody hens are crazy. I opened up 2 brooders to let 2 of them out, with their chicks. One hen took off and has not returned. She was doing great in the broody pen, so why she changed her mind about raising kids, I have no idea. [​IMG] Fortunately, there was another "broody-wanna-be," near by. She immediately adopted the 2 abandoned chicks and is now quite happy.

The other broody that I let out of the pen - well, too funny........
    Her 2 chicks decided they like to visit the broody with one chick that is in the "cage," with big wire openings. They go in and out - visiting and eating. The mama there is good to them, too. All the while, their mama stands outside the cage clucking her fool head off, and they won't listen. They do spend the night with their own mama, but they sure torment her all day long.

I was gonna open up two more broody pens tomorrow - but have decided to wait. Forecast is rain and mud ALL WEEK. I am not gonna let them out in that.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

OH GREAT ! ! ! I hear chirping! I forgot I put a few eggs in (only 6) - for chicks for the broodies who failed at hatching.

I have one Barred Rock and one Delaware that are about bone thin from sitting and still have no chicks. I hope these eggs hatch tonight so I can give them chicks to care for.

Another broody story....
    I took one Wheaten Ameraucana OUT of the doghouse that she thinks she owns. She raised 5 chicks already. Then, she laid a dozen eggs or so and proceeded to sit on them. I pulled them out yesterday and tossed them all. PEEE UUUUUU - a couple smelly rotten eggs exploded. The whole dog house was a stinky mess. There were a couple broken eggs in the mess. YUK. I cleaned it all out and moved Wheaten Ameraucan #2 in there, with her 5 chicks. #1 is NOT happy about this. She is trying to steal the chicks and move in with her sister. She stands outside the fence and hollers and flairs up. WOW is she serious, or what?! haha I found one dead chick. Now, there are 4.
  10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    What kind of strange chicken is this?

[​IMG] Oh, Okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by