Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    My hatch is done. I got three project chicks, two yellow Icelandics, and one blue Isbar. I was going to give the project babies back to the broody but she got off the nest on the worst day of the heatwave and hasn't been back. I'l move them out to the little yellow house after a couple of weeks in the basement. I hope it isn't too hot in the yellow house. I have both windows open but with the unrelenting heat it worries me. I'll post pictures after the new hatchlings fluff up a bit.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How is the shade cloth working Mary?

I'm home now. Good news and bad news. Good news is all my momma's and babies are fine. Bad news.................I have ANOTHER broody. Aaaaarrrrggghh!

3. BlueWater29

BlueWater29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Welcome home!! [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Thanks!

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Oh Kelly, not another broody! If you decide to cut to the chase and give her chicks I have a couple of day old project babies you might like.

The shade cloth is great, I am so glad we put it up. It isn't pretty but it does the trick. During the heat of the day they hang out on and under the shade structures we built which are under the shade cloth.

6. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well, they (the Orp and the Production Red) are going to have to wait until I get back. I don't have the time to be messing with more momma's and babies right now. (and making sure the babies figure out the ramp before I go) If they are still broody the week of the 22nd, then I might give them some babies. My production red is a terrible sitter (but a great mother), she plays musical nesting boxes. And the Orp already crushed eggs, so I will have to find some babies for them.

I just let my next 2 broodies out with their babies into the flocks. So I'll be chasing those babies all week.

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  9. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Just wrong. That's my pillow, tv remote and iPad. Looks like he's on a Candy Crush Saga time-out.

[​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

For the life of me, I can't see anything but right about that photo, Mary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by