Stella's Social Club

The chick now named "Pancake", as in flat like a pancake, is out of the shell, fluffed up and appears to be doing fine under mama hen. I did not want to mess with her or the baby too much after it being crushed in the shell. We'll see how it goes, but I'm more optimistic than I was last night.

I think after all the poor chick has gone through, it deserved a name.

Last edited:
I need to finish off these broodies FAST...............before they convince anyone else. Deb - you have anything hatching the week of the 22nd? If so, what?
I do, but I'd have to look. I haven't set anything for myself because right now I was setting eggs to hatch at the nursery at State Fair. I set seven eggs per day for the entire 17 day run of the fair and a HUGE variety of chicks. So I'd have to look and see what is in that week, I'll be picking up the chicks once a week or so, just so they keep little babies on display in the Fur & Feathers building.

So our heat pump which gave us fits all winter doesn't work for A/C either. I have moved my computer upstairs to my bedroom where I am saying until it gets fixed which is supposed to be sometime this week. I have seen so many things from this window that I don't see from my office. Yesterday the turkey in the hole today a big doe eating from my new garden beds! Sorry for the poor quality. It was from my ancient iPhone and far away.

Not much, I saw her just in time. She is waiting in the pasture to come back though! She'' probably wipe me out while I sleep. Guess I'll have to jerryrig some deer fencing.

Diva must have broken out the ice cream. Haven't seen her for awhile. Ice cream induced coma perhaps?
gig.gif

Not much, I saw her just in time. She is waiting in the pasture to come back though! She'' probably wipe me out while I sleep. Guess I'll have to jerryrig some deer fencing.

Giant brown yard rats!

I've been doing lots of planting of shrubs, grasses & flowers. The deer have been coming right along behind to chew everything down to the ground. I'm constantly on a quest for "deer resistant" (yeah right!). I tell the nursery staff I don't want resistant, I want them to eat it, choke to death and die.

I recently planted some Mexican Cardinal flowers. The description says "don't water it, or it will become invasive", just what I'm looking for! It's like "crack" to hummingbirds and butterflies, yet another huge selling point. It spreads like lightening and will stay in flower for months on end, yay! The best part "all parts of the plant are toxic". All that means to me is don't throw trimmings into the field with the sheep/alpaca/llama and my chickens don't free range in the front yard anyway. When I planted the first one, the big brown rats did some trimming during the night. So far they haven't touched the second one I put in. I keep hoping to get up in the morning and find the lawn littered with the corpses of Bambi and his family. Those are holes I'd be willing to dig! The neighbor has a tractor and would come help.

Can you tell how I feel about deer?

They are lovely to watch grazing and I frequently stop to watch them...................................in the neighbor's yard!

Back
Top Bottom