Stella's Social Club

It feels very good to be home!
Mike's first "post-retirement" job was to get rid of this snake I found in an abandoned nest! It was full of eggs or chicks, too... lumpy... It sure did stink when we were disposing of it. Snakes stink?
hu.gif

Fred and Tony Turkey are still bestest buddies, I see.....

I have some very pretty Icelandics growing out, too.

Welcome back Kathy!

That snake was nasty...

Love Tony and Fred...."The Odd Couple" remember that sit com??

Beautiful juveniles...

we are on day 3 of our epic heat wave in AZ...116+ here in my area and low of 91...did not break under 100 until around 1am...Ugh! all the birds are well...thank goodness for misting systems and strong 'heritage' birds!! I had one of my Ringlet hens actually up in the coop nest box laying an egg at 2pm ---113 degrees...You GO GIRL!!!
lol.png

My 11 Buff Rock chicks just turned 1 week old....had to bring them in the house (laundry room) due to extreme heat...even the garage hit 108...that's beyond what I expect my chicks to endure at this tender age...It certainly made folding and hanging laundry much more FUN!!!
big_smile.png

Cindy

Someone should photoshop this to say "Arizona" for Dar.... although it certainly is true of Texas, too!

I think I figured out what is going on with my two lame birds. Their pens didn't get cleaned out for about 3 weeks (I usually clean it weekly), and there was a lot of spilled feed on the floor. We had some rains during that time that leaked up under the pen wall. It was all cleaned out before they got sick, but I think the damaging exposure to the bad feed was already done, and they have mycotoxins in their system from mold on the food. :( Shame on me. But they are both standing on their own today- although weakly- and eating and drinking well. They each get a scrambled egg with vit E and selenium mixed in daily. So hopefully in a few days they will be good as new! Marek's just didn't seem right. Then I found a reference on BYC that said sudden paralysis is more likely a toxin, whereas gradual paralysis is more likely to be Marek's.

Update on my EE hen- her eye infection is better, she can open her eye, and I am continuing the triple antibiotic cream 3X daily as that seems to be helping the most. But she still has that huge bulge between her eye and her nose, I can't seem to loosen it or massage it out! Anyone have any tips? It is not visible from under the eyelid so I'm totally making a guess which way to push. It hurts her terribly for me to work on it.

I have 2 of the 3 necessary dead Isbar chicks to take in to the lab Monday. I dread going into the garage each morning to check their brooder. :(

Rinda, so sorry about your chickc. I hope you get an answer soon. That would be nice if the problem was just the moldy feed. Jeeze if it's not one thing, it's another!

boy it has been hot here as well. I was down in Sacramento yesterday. First for a birthday party on the east side of the valley then a Baseball game in town.
The car said 113 going from the party to the game. This was the first baseball game I have been to where my only thought was I want to go home. I have a head cold which has made it seem worse.
driving on the freeway at 10pm it was still 96 degrees. at least up here in the lower mountains it was about 76 by 11pm. the house has cooled quite nicely.
All the chickens where happy though I had moved the silver ameraucana out of the 5x3 brooder to the dog run and moved the dogloo in there. so of course being chickens they where sitting in the middle of the covered run.
the ones in the chicken yard that where in that dogloo where sitting on top of the other coop in there. so at around 11:30 last night I was gathering chickens and putting them in there proper coops

Love those pretty blue and green eggs!

I found a few, too!
gig.gif
The "helper," I had while I was gone was worthless. (My son)....

All eggs went into the trash. No broodies and no chicks wanted here.

Did I tell you - I bought a new vehicle?
tongue.png

It is a Chrysler Town and Country Touring L. We can haul the grandkids back and forth with ease.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom