Sterile Rooster?

Standard Hen

Songster
12 Years
May 17, 2007
Massachusetts
Hi everyone, I have not been around for a short while as I have been non-stop since returning to work from my medical leave. But I do try and check here as often as I can!

I have a question, is there such a thing as a sterile rooster? I have had two broody's since spring, they both have sat on full clutches for the alloted days with no hatches. The eggs that do not break in the nest are just yolks, nothing formed at all. My rooster is on those girls all the time so I am just stumped!

I am thinking it is possible that my big man is shooting blanks. Anyone ever have this problem?
roll.png

He is most likely a little over a year old. I got him last fall and he was from a spring hatch. He is beautiful, a Columbian Wyondotte and not mean. Someone dropped off three of them at a friend of mines and I saved him from the soup pot.

I had to trim butt fluff on my Orpingtons to get fertile eggs. Maybe it's an issue like that. Also, one rooster I had took five months to get mating right and I was beginning to think he was sterile, too.
On the fluff, on the ladies, you pluck or trim above the vent area and on the gents, below the vent to get the fluff out of the way.

I never even thought of that? I have all different kinds of hens and they do not all have alot of butt fluff.....lol
All I know is this really has me stumped,,,he seems to have it down pat. I also looked at the pictures of the fertile yolks on here and I did think I saw those circles. But now after two unhatched clutches I know it has to be him.

Back
Top Bottom