Still having Bumble Foot trouble...Please Help

willowbranchfarm

Chicken Boots
12 Years
Oct 3, 2011
Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
I fixed almost all my chickens bumble foot by soaking it in Epsom salt and warm water for about 10 min. Then putting neosporin on it and wrapping it up. (I haven't done any cutting or surgery) and all of them got better (Cause I caught it early I guess) so I started slacking off of treatment. I checked up on them and its gone on most of them but one still has a good sized one that I think will get better but I have another one that looks big and not too good. I'm going to continue to soak a lot, and put neosporin on it but since its gotten kinda bad should I do some kind of antibiotic?? if so what kind?? I don't want to have to pay a vet to do surgery and I don't want to do it myself (but I might have too). Thank you!!

Rebecca

I am glad to hear that the epsome salt work for the rest of your chickies.

If it is not working for the other hen you may have to do the surgery. A good antibiotic would be PenG, thats what I used. but remember that will not take the bumblefoot away, it will just prevent infection ect...

Here are a few links I found very helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

and this is a great one.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Good Luck,
and if you can, please post a picture.

Thanks for replying. My bumble foot kind of looks like this

I dont think its that bad though.

Ive seen small ones like this.......

But there not a big problem though right??? If the scab is gone is it all gone??? Thanks again.

Hmm, I treated this once before, and did not consider it "all gone" until the scab was gone, the swelling went down, and the chicken stopped limping. I kind of think that if you stop soaking when it is still swollen, it is probably not all gone. My understanding is that this can be very difficult to treat if you let it get bad, so best to treat completely now, while it is relatively mild. Did you see all the recent posts on TricideNeo?

Sounds like you have multiple chickens with bumblefoot? Why are they cutting their feet? You might want to identify that, and remove whatever it is from their environment.

Hmm, I treated this once before, and did not consider it "all gone" until the scab was gone, the swelling went down, and the chicken stopped limping. I kind of think that if you stop soaking when it is still swollen, it is probably not all gone. My understanding is that this can be very difficult to treat if you let it get bad, so best to treat completely now, while it is relatively mild. Did you see all the recent posts on TricideNeo?

Sounds like you have multiple chickens with bumblefoot? Why are they cutting their feet? You might want to identify that, and remove whatever it is from their environment.
Yes TricideNeo is my next step. And Im not sure why they are getting it....But i have a dirt ground run (which I hate) and we are trying to get a fence so they can free range. I dont think having them on the hard ground is helping this problem.

Are there rocks with sharp edges in the ground? The last time I saw a post where someone said they had many chickens with bumblefoot, they eventually said the "litter" in the run was made of some kind of crushed rock. Bare earth without sharp edged rocks should not be a problem -- there must be something sharp they are stepping on. Think about everything they step on in their environment.

Back
Top Bottom