Store bought coop... I know, bad idea.. too late

Both need to be bigger.

The general rule of thumb is 4 sq ft of coop and 10 sq ft of run for each standard bird. If I remember that right. Bantams and silkies can take a bit less. Truthfully I like to give them 8 sq ft in the coop and 20 sq ft in the run.

RIR (my fav breed) are known for being a bit more aggressive breed.

Last edited:
Both need to be bigger.

The general rule of thumb is 1 sq ft of coop and 10 sq ft of run for each standard bird. If I remember that right. Bantams and silkies can take a bit less. Truthfully I like to give them 2 sq ft in the coop and 20 sq ft in the run.

RIR (my fav breed) are known for being a bit more aggressive breed.

I think you meant 4 square foot per bird in the coop. ;)

Suggestions, which you should feel free to disregard.

Raise the roosting bars, so your birds don't sleep in the nesting boxes. As is, the bars are so low it will make cleaning difficult, too.

Remove an inside panel (if it exists) under the roof to add free, weather protected ventilation.

Expand the run off the side opposite the door. Simple framing, wall it appropriately for your predators (hardware cloth, etc). Whether or no to roof it is also predator dependent. Prices right now on building materials are outrageous, you **may** be better off attaching a chain link-style dog run/kennel, depending on dimensions, then securing hardware cloth to it to whatever height is necessary. Wood will require more framing, and has roughly tripled in price, so metal, in addition to being more durable, may actually be cheaper at the moment.

I leave sexing of your birds to others, more experienced than myself.

1620139642077.png

I'll toss my two cents in here to: lump it or leave it. Paint and seal that coop ASAP or it will rot and be useless by August. The wood is little more than balsa.

Agree with the silkies, until they crow and don't lay eggs, don't count them out as cockerels.

I've seen people set those smaller store bought coops inside chain link dog kennels/runs.

Suggestions, which you should feel free to disregard.

Raise the roosting bars, so your birds don't sleep in the nesting boxes. As is, the bars are so low it will make cleaning difficult, too.

Remove an inside panel (if it exists) under the roof to add free, weather protected ventilation.

Expand the run off the side opposite the door. Simple framing, wall it appropriately for your predators (hardware cloth, etc). Whether or no to roof it is also predator dependent. Prices right now on building materials are outrageous, you **may** be better off attaching a chain link-style dog run/kennel, depending on dimensions, then securing hardware cloth to it to whatever height is necessary. Wood will require more framing, and has roughly tripled in price, so metal, in addition to being more durable, may actually be cheaper at the moment.

I leave sexing of your birds to others, more experienced than myself.

View attachment 2648992
Good points. as a side mention, I'll say the the OP took a good picture. Made it look better than it is. Should maybe consider a job in advertising photography.

Back
Top Bottom