Store bought coop... I know, bad idea.. too late

Hey! I don’t see anything you have done wrong! Looks like a pretty typical (and great) first go to me...and the coop is cute! does it snow where you are in Texas? those little coops get quite cold!
I can relate to the ordinance issue 😕 nice start to your flock! darling babies.
Normally, no. However, we did just have Snow-magetton. The location of the coop is to allow for electricity. We have a warming light up there now, thought usually it's off. We will add a fan, somehow, soon. Summer's get hot quickly.

Good points. as a side mention, I'll say the the OP took a good picture. Made it look better than it is. Should maybe consider a job in advertising photography
luckily that coop is actually an ok size for a flock of 3-4 hens, there are several things you can do to make the coop bigger as well.
Normally, no. However, we did just have Snow-magetton. The location of the coop is to allow for electricity. We have a warming light up there now, thought usually it's off. We will add a fan, somehow, soon. Summer's get hot quickly.
Sounds like where I live! thats awesome you’re putting in heat 👍🏽 we had a gnarly snow season Too. 😁 Even though we have a larger coop now, my first little tractor supply coop is still standing after years of weather, and a bear entrance... ☹️ The girls still like it, and it does make a perfect chick raiser.

You may both be right! His breast was very full yesterday afternoon. I'll try to get a better picture of him today. Although, I'll have my granddaughter (3 years old) so that might not be possible.

Naw...looking at his pic he is no meat bird. He may have seemed bigger since he ate very well. That crop can really expand. 😳

Congrats on your new chickens! I hope they're settling in well. Lots of good ideas already shared. Maybe tall 6 foot fencing around this coop to expand their space. Also think about objects to make a chicken playground... like logs, perches, places to hang veggie or seed treats. Position in a sheltered place like near trees or solid fences, or plant shrubs around the outside of the enclosure -- this can provide some relief from extreme weather, hot or cold!

Texas weather is hard. East Texas tells me hot and humid with a few cold spells in winter. Born raised 60± years here in Texas from East Texas-now central (close to Bryan/College Station). Your doing great! Coops are tricky. Try to remember to reduce heat and don't worry about cold. We all buy/use down jackets, chickens have theirs naturally.
You have your wire run, wooden coop with roost bar and nest box and most importantly--chickens! Good start!
It's all about learning what works what doesn't and enjoying life.
If you can't have roo's, then figure out what to do with them. Rehome, cull (kill and eat), sell, give away. Before long you WILL know the boys. My coop is prefab-but it works. I did have a dog attack that damaged it, I repaired it, then reinforced entire outside with welded wire. It's not purty, but it works.

Back
Top Bottom