FarmerLex

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
Pennsylvania
Hello! It seems to be that out of the 5 RIR straight run chicks I got, 4 are most likely male, and possibly even the 5th but still hoping the 5th is a she. They are 5 weeks old. Its my first time with chickens and was hoping the ratio would have turned out to be better. Does anyone have any advice on what to do from here? If I do have one hen do I need to separate her? How long can she be alone until I can get more pullets? Any advice is appreciated.

When 12 of my 20 hatched chicks turned up roosters, I divided my covered open air coop/run in two, and made half a bachelor pad. Those roosters got along great until at least 3 months when I sold them. You can raise to 4-6 months and eat them, you can keep a bachelor pad (as long as the roosters get along), or you can rehome. I rehomed one, was planning to eat the rest, but don't have time to butcher right now, so I sold them.

You could keep one hen and one rooster for a few months until you can raise up more hens, but be sure to get her a chicken saddle and shoulder pads. I prefer the australian ones. You can separate the hen and roo as needed. They can still share a fenceline, it would just help her not get overbred.

I'm not sure you have a hen. She might be a slow developing cockerel, but I'll let others weigh in.
Thank you very much for your advice and input, I really appreciate it so much. ◡̈
It's been quite the journey! For sure learning a lot along the way.

Got them from TS as we had trouble finding available chicks from local places or even sexed chicks at all. Hoping to get more female chicks before the end of the summer. As for the roosters, we have a few options. Im more concerned with what to do up until that time (such as separation and living situations in the coop) since they are still so young only 5 weeks, and after if we do have a hen it's tough for them to be alone.
When 12 of my 20 hatched chicks turned up roosters, I divided my covered open air coop/run in two, and made half a bachelor pad. Those roosters got along great until at least 3 months when I sold them. You can raise to 4-6 months and eat them, you can keep a bachelor pad (as long as the roosters get along), or you can rehome. I rehomed one, was planning to eat the rest, but don't have time to butcher right now, so I sold them.

You could keep one hen and one rooster for a few months until you can raise up more hens, but be sure to get her a chicken saddle and shoulder pads. I prefer the australian ones. You can separate the hen and roo as needed. They can still share a fenceline, it would just help her not get overbred.

I'm not sure you have a hen. She might be a slow developing cockerel, but I'll let others weigh in.

Hello!

That’s a bummer, but you will probably want to get some more pullets to keep your other girl (yes, I think it’s a female) company. The sooner the better IMO, because they can get accustomed to living together before they really become aggressive toward or dominant over each other.

Hello!

That’s a bummer, but you will probably want to get some more pullets to keep your other girl (yes, I think it’s a female) company. The sooner the better IMO, because they can get accustomed to living together before they really become aggressive toward or dominant over each other.
Yes would love to get them ASAP but in my area they have been super hard to find, sold out within hours.

Got them from TS as we had trouble finding available chicks from local places or even sexed chicks at all. Hoping to get more female chicks before the end of the summer. As for the roosters, we have a few options. Im more concerned with what to do up until that time (such as separation and living situations in the coop) since they are still so young only 5 weeks, and after if we do have a hen it's tough for them to be alone.
Sorry I didn't see your reply somehow it got buried or something.

I feel your pain. We saw chicks around here selling out left and right and got what we could. Turns out not to be the breeds we had planned on or even thought they were when purchasing! Lol but it's crazy times right now.

Hello! It seems to be that out of the 5 RIR straight run chicks I got, 4 are most likely male, and possibly even the 5th but still hoping the 5th is a she. They are 5 weeks old. Its my first time with chickens and was hoping the ratio would have turned out to be better. Does anyone have any advice on what to do from here? If I do have one hen do I need to separate her? How long can she be alone until I can get more pullets? Any advice is appreciated.
Sorry about your luck. Where did you get them from? Most of the supply stores will have pullet bins as well as straight runs, just depends on what they get in, they might be different breeds. If you want females, you'd have better luck trying the pullet bin than the SR.

You should never buy straight run unless you have a plan for what to do with the extra cockerels. Did you have a plan? Will you be keeping one, or zero?

Pictures would help us to see if they are all boy's or if you do have a girl.
I posted photos in a different thread but this is the one im hoping is a hen! (green band)

Attachments

• tempImage8hBCFO.png
    tempImage8hBCFO.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom