Strange 3 Month Old Chicken Behaviour

MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
So, there is this odd thing my chickens do that confuses the heck out of me but also cracks me up. Two of the chicks, seemingly at random, will suddenly start flapping and then running to one-another with their feathers all ruffled and neck feathers up as if they are about to have the biggest battle of their lives... Then stop face-to-face, stare and... Lightly peck one-another on the beak before moving on.

They also do the same process with the flapping and charging, but jump up and start kick-boxing for a few seconds before suddenly stopping practically as soon as it started and continue foraging together as if nothing happened.

Is this normal chicken behaviour? Or are my youngsters just crazy little things? :p

Are they both boys?

I only have one who is showing male traits, while the others look like young hens/pullets. He does it with them at times, while they do it to one-another also. It is all 5 of the youngsters who do it, but just 2 at random of the 5 who start up. The older roo who keeps them safe doesn't seem to care that much and the younger roo hasn't tried anything with him yet.

One time Peep-Peep, the younger rooster, tried mounting one of his siblings who wasn't amused and ran off and, well... I expected a reaction from the father but he just didn't give a damn, which confused me further as I thought he'd try chasing Peep-Peep off once he started doing that.

Last edited:
It's all normal! Play behavior with a serious purpose; establishing the social order in the flock. Both sexes of chicks will do this. Mary

That is good, as long as the little kick-boxing remains playful I am fine with it. It is amusing to watch them quietly forage and then all of the sudden two will start flapping, even if they are on opposite sides of the yard, and then charge at one-another for either a little kick-box or beak-peck. :lau

I feel like recording them doing it and adding dramatic music to them as they charge, before cutting off with a scratch sound the moment they stop, stare and beak peck, or stop kick-boxing. :p

I've got 17 five week old chicks right now, and could sit and watch their antics for hours! Too cute! Make sure that they have plenty of space, and places to get away from each other, and watch the show. It's like watching kittens. Mary

They are free-range on the back yard during the day, so they have plenty of space and hidey places. They need them to avoid the protective mama hen and her current brood. :p And at night they are too tuckered out by all the antics they did in the day and just snuggle into a big fluffy ball to sleep when they come back inside to their pen.

Back
Top Bottom