Strange bits in egg white?

LittlePip21

Songster
Feb 5, 2017
IMG_0810.JPG

Hey, you guys think I should be concerned? I've never had issues before, most of the hens who could have layed it are at their two year peak, so that may have something to do with it? The only illness problems I had are a mild respiratory problems on and off. Any advice will be appreciated!

Those appear to be blood or meat spots. Not uncommon at times in a laying cycle or for some hens in general. In production settings they are identified by candling and such eggs are used for baking.
Thank you! I was thinking it was just blood spots, but I wasn't sure.

Check out blood spots and meat spots in this link. That looks like a blood spot.

Egg Quality Handbook

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

That's not that unusual. When the ova is growing large enough for it to be a yolk so an egg can form around it, it is enclosed in a membrane full of blood vessels to carry nutrients to it so it can grow. When it is released to become a yolk and travel through the hen's internal egg making factory, that membrane splits along a line that does not have blood vessels growing across it. Some hens have an oops though and a blood vessel grows across that line. When it separates some blood can get on the outside of the yolk.

The reason you don't see that in the eggs you buy at the store is that the big commercial operations automatically candle their eggs to remove them so customers don't see them. These eggs are sold to places that break the eggs before they are sold, like bakeries. It's really pretty common. There is nothing unhealthy with them they are safe to eat, but I admit there is a Yuk! factor.

With some hens that's really rare, with some that's more common. I'm trying to figure out which hen is laying a certain brown egg that has blood spots about half the time. That can be a challenge.

Hi, I agree with Sourland. And it has nothing to do with illness.

Here is a link with a little info...
https://articles.extension.org/pages/65462/what-is-a-meat-spot

Though they may not be problem, I usually just feed those back to my animals. And I do let all new customers who aren't familiar with non commercial eggs know that it's a possibility so they aren't all worried there's a chick developing since they likely never got one from the super market. Their egg candling technology far surpasses what I have available.

Store bought eggs are being candled and the ones with blood or meat spots are being sorted out. Which is why new chicken owners are often so surprised to find these spots in their eggs.

About the sorted out eggs, does anybody know what happens to them?

The reason you don't see that in the eggs you buy at the store is that the big commercial operations automatically candle their eggs to remove them so customers don't see them. These eggs are sold to places that break the eggs before they are sold, like bakeries.

They also go into school lunches and such.

Store eggs can sit at the factory for 30 days. Get a 30 day label for the store, if not sold they can be returned to factory to be regraded and get another 30 day label for the store. After which if they aren't sold they get sent back to factory again and redistributed to things like institutional foods (prisons and schools, maybe animal feed and such). :sick

And us home chicken people act like eating a week old egg is a sacrilege or something. :D

Back
Top Bottom