Countryhippie

Chirping
Aug 29, 2021
Massachusetts
I was hanging out with my girls right before bed and they were all running around playing and I gave them a dish of their feed with water mixed in (so mash). Then I put them to bed and all was normal. I then looked on my camera to see if they had all settled down and then I see they are all like breathing through their mouths one is moving her head in a weird way when swallowing. One of my hens have been dealing with an impacted crop, but she has never mouth breathed before and the crop is not at all hard like it once was. I thought maybe they were hot as it was about 75 in the coop, so I opened both of the windows and its now 68 in there and they are still doing it. Is this normal and are they just adjusting their crop. I have never seen this before but I normally don't check the camera. They were literally running around playing, dust bathing, eating and drinking perfectly all day. I will attach videos in a minute.

Here is the link:

Here is another video:

Last edited:
Has the weather only just now warmed up? It takes chickens a few days to adjust to a sudden fluctuation in temperature, especially when it warms up from being cold for so long. The panting is no more of concern than a dog or cat panting. It's their heat exchange mechanism.

Back
Top Bottom