Stray cat killed my chick and I want revenge + another question

lunaticfishboy

Songster
Mar 31, 2022
Bad news everyone.. :(

7DB0D59E-A3A6-4535-B649-EB30177650AD.jpeg

This (left) was my New Hampshire Red pullet, Fiona. She almost reached 5 weeks. I let her and my Buff Ameracauna chick, Soniya, out of their little chick coop outside, to play and run around a bit, I usually let them stay out until it starts getting dark. They’ve been free ranging outside since April 15. Like a week now. Today I made a grave damn mistake.

I locked up my rooster Zuko in the chicks tiny coop because he was being bad. I looked at him out the window about 10 minutes later, and he’s freaking out. I assumed it was because he wanted to get out. I look out the window and Fiona and Soniya are fine, playing and hopping around, and not even 30 minutes later I come outside and I find Fiona in a corner outside of the pen, dead as a doornail, next to the bastard female stray cat who killed my Lulu. I almost puke, picking up her lukewarm body and hugging it.

I realized that if I didn’t lock Zuko up, he would’ve protected them. So this really is my fault. I have all the time in the world to grieve and embrace my self-hatred, but instead my morbid mind only screams to take revenge. I seriously want to kill this cat. I won’t let her do anymore damage. The other cats always behave and generally avoid going into their pen because I used to have a heifer back there and they were scared of her, they still don’t go in there. Today she has passed the last straw.

Is it justifiable if I kill this cat? I have absolutely no remorse for her even if its her instinct as a cat. If someone kills or hurts my babies, they’re getting karma no matter what.

About the other question. The Buff Amercacauna chick, Soniya, I took her in and she is housed with my Buff Orpington, Rupi. Rupi is certainly jealous of Soniya when I show her affection, and often bullies her. :( I feel so so bad for Soniya because Fiona was like her big sister who would always play with her, and she was looking so hard outside to find her, it shattered my heart. Soniya probably thinks Rupi is Fiona, and she’s confused on why she’s being so mean to her.

I want to know if I should put Soniya up for adoption, like on Craigslist, thats where I originally found her. I don’t want her to fall into the hands of a person who would treat her as some commodity object. As a vegan, it would absolutely break my heart if anyone hurt this precious baby. I want her to be safe and loved. I honestly don’t mind if whoever takes her only uses her eggs she will lay in the future, as long as she is being given the same amount of unconditional love I give her.

I really need some advice, I can’t take this anymore I feel like a tiger in a cage in my mind!!!!:hit

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to seek a therapist that can give you more time, you a fast reaching a disturbing climax in which you will end up with animal cruelty charges and jail time.
I remember you've had previous trouble with cats, about and while I'm sorry about your losses, everything eats chicken, even chickens. I'm wondering why you haven't taken more steps for security?.That being said, it's up to you to keep them safe and secured in a pen. Your rooster likely wouldn't have stopped anything, he would have lost his life. You can calmly request your neighbors to pay for your losses. It's horrible, as a vegan, to want to slaughter the cat when it is following it's natural instinct.

Set a coon trap. Bait it. Catch it. And get rid of it, shelter or otherwise. Strays carry who knows what. Essentially she's trespassing (even if she mysteriously has an owner, they are responsible for keeping her in their yard). I'm not a cat person but I get that they need to eat to. Worse thing is (besides it killing your chick) they like to play with their food which is sad because you don't know if she suffered when she died. Sorry for your loss of your innocent little chick. Be careful putting the other one with the older chickens. Because they will hen peck to show dominance they can sometimes injure the little ones. If anything you can keep her in a smaller pen inside your larger pen where the others can see her but not physically touch her. She needs to be transitioned properly so they don't hurt her (they will still establish a pecking order but it's a stranger in their eyes). Transitioning this way is best. Best of luck. Sorry about your baby.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I know how precious pets can be.

You absolutely can't kill the cat. That would be wrong. It was doing what nature has created it to do. Hunt to live. It would also be harming someone else's pet. Perhaps you could talk to the owner and ask it to keep it out of your yard? If you can't find the owner, or don't know who it is, you can call animal control to alert them the cat is causing problems with your livestock (which is the term to use which brings in certain legal codes).

I'm sorry you are in emotional pain. That's very difficult. Hang in there until you can talk to your therapist.

Until then, I would give your 2 chicks time to get used to each other. Animals don't feel jealousy like humans do. They only feel comfortable with each other because they are familiar or uncomfortable because it is a new situation with risk. As long as the two remaining chicks are somewhat close in size and age, they should become comfortable with each other in time. Show each equal attention, since you are viewed as the flock leader. In time, things should smooth over.

And I know its easy to project our thoughts onto animals, who are very precious friends in their own right, but Soniya has forgotten Fiona and simply needs to connect with Rupi as a flock mate. Chickens have to work this out on their own. It is flock nature. Soniya is simply feeling the difference in her housing and flock mate which is why she is confused. Give it time as long as they are on pretty equal footing.

Give them both attention and treats, and I think you will find everything settling down.

Have courage. Take one day at a time. Things will feel better. Call animal control for the stray cat that is attacking your chicks....and look at getting help at enclosures that are predator proof for your chickens.

LofMc

I hope you are working on acceptance.
Accept: this is not your fault. It is a horrible part of life that just happens. It is nobody"s fault.
Accept: You are who you are, gender identity and all. Your gender identity is not your fault, it is just who you are'
Accept: You went though something painful today. It is normal to grieve and hurt. But not to lash out and hurt or destroy something else because of that pain.
Accept: You need to figure out how to get more therapy so you can work on issues.
Accept: that your parents may not know what to do or how to handle your situations. You say they ignore your "subtle" cries for help. Perhaps you need to sit them down and explain exactly what you are going through. Tell them what you need, tell them about your susicidal ideations, your need for their backing and unconditional love. We all need these things.
Accept: You are a person who deserves love
Let your therapists know all of these feelings and that you need your parents, as do anyone your age. :hugs

Last edited:
Chickens that age are as attractive to cats as any bird . They simply can't be out of a protected area without supervision . Farrel cats usually don't bother adult chickens .

And we can look at this in another perspective . Most ferrel cats are excellent mousers protecting the wiring and computer operation of your car that may be outdoors . Those are expensive repairs .

View attachment 3073357

This (left) was my New Hampshire Red pullet, Fiona. She almost reached 5 weeks. I let her and my Buff Ameracauna chick, Soniya, out of their little chick coop outside, to play and run around a bit, I usually let them stay out until it starts getting dark. They’ve been free ranging outside since April 15. Like a week now. Today I made a grave damn mistake.

I locked up my rooster Zuko in the chicks tiny coop because he was being bad. I looked at him out the window about 10 minutes later, and he’s freaking out. I assumed it was because he wanted to get out. I look out the window and Fiona and Soniya are fine, playing and hopping around, and not even 30 minutes later I come outside and I find Fiona in a corner outside of the pen, dead as a doornail, next to the bastard female stray cat who killed my Lulu. I almost puke, picking up her lukewarm body and hugging it.

I realized that if I didn’t lock Zuko up, he would’ve protected them. So this really is my fault. I have all the time in the world to grieve and embrace my self-hatred, but instead my morbid mind only screams to take revenge. I seriously want to kill this cat. I won’t let her do anymore damage. The other cats always behave and generally avoid going into their pen because I used to have a heifer back there and they were scared of her, they still don’t go in there. Today she has passed the last straw.

Is it justifiable if I kill this cat? I have absolutely no remorse for her even if its her instinct as a cat. If someone kills or hurts my babies, they’re getting karma no matter what.

About the other question. The Buff Amercacauna chick, Soniya, I took her in and she is housed with my Buff Orpington, Rupi. Rupi is certainly jealous of Soniya when I show her affection, and often bullies her. :( I feel so so bad for Soniya because Fiona was like her big sister who would always play with her, and she was looking so hard outside to find her, it shattered my heart. Soniya probably thinks Rupi is Fiona, and she’s confused on why she’s being so mean to her.

I want to know if I should put Soniya up for adoption, like on Craigslist, thats where I originally found her. I don’t want her to fall into the hands of a person who would treat her as some commodity object. As a vegan, it would absolutely break my heart if anyone hurt this precious baby. I want her to be safe and loved. I honestly don’t mind if whoever takes her only uses her eggs she will lay in the future, as long as she is being given the same amount of unconditional love I give her.

I really need some advice, I can’t take this anymore I feel like a tiger in a cage in my mind!!!!:hit

(I need serious therapy man.. The therapist I’m seeing now only talks to me once a MONTH. Like hello, I’m a mentally disturbed 15 year old who needs comfort and help!!! Gah!!!)
That is very sad and I’m so sorry. Don’t harm the cat, it is simply doing what cats do as an instinct. I like someone’s advice about maybe KINDLY taking it to a shelter or talking to it’s owner if you think it might have one. Now you’ve learned how your pullets are vulnerable, so forgive yourself and take the necessary security precautions, going forward, to protect your chicks. God gives us creatures to respect and care for and they help us along in this life so respect each animal for what it is bred to do, and protect accordingly.
Speaking of God, I am praying for you. What you experienced was traumatic but you are stating a deeper need for help. Here’s the answer - be proactive and immediately get the therapy you need to keep yourself safe. Also know that He is with you at all times. Take comfort in knowing that, and seek to glorify Him in all you do. If you truly do these things, you will not self loathe, but you will see yourself in His eyes. Take care.

View attachment 3073357

(I need serious therapy man.. The therapist I’m seeing now only talks to me once a MONTH. Like hello, I’m a mentally disturbed 15 year old who needs comfort and help!!! Gah!!!)
I’m so sorry for you loss but I don’t think you should kill that cat because that could be filed as animal abuse but if you catch it you can give it to a shelter

We have a feral cat, who has lived around our house a few years. We have never fed or done anything to encourage this cat. We have had very few rats or mice in the last few years, where as before we had a rodent problem. The cat has never given our chickens any problems.
When we have new chicks it is through a broody hen, who has her own coop and run inside the the big coop and run. So a see no touch situation.
I am sure you understand how we normally handle new chicks with there Mom there as well.
This last time I had rescued a feral bantam hen.
she found her way under the house, so she was a completely unprotected. She made a nest and began stealing fertile eggs and storing them in the nest (we had NO idea). Then she disappeared, we looked all over, even under the house, over and over again. But never found her and gave up.
About 2 weeks ago, we found her under the house in a well hidden nest with 15 newly hatched chicks. There was also a large mouse/small rat recently killed not very far from the nest. Stay outside when you first let your chicks run the yard and always listen to your rooster. He is your best friend and most important flock keeper you will ever have.
:frow Welcome from New Orleans. I hope things get better for you.
Diddo on the roosters! We have 15+ and they keep our flock alert at all times.

Back
Top Bottom