Stray Rooster and the Urban Homestead.

He was treated for mites/lice and was covered in one or the other. I will need to treat him again a few times as eggs hatch. I am trying to figure out how to soak his feet. he doesn't seem to want to cooperate with much, I am going to cover his legs in Vaseline mixed with livestock dust to kill scaleymites, Not sure if he has them but his legs look like it wouldn't hurt. If he does have that its not real bad yet. I had one rooster with that once. Vaseline does the trick but it takes a long time to heal from it. I just moved him into his new pen. When I enter the pen he does his best to stay away from me. He has spent 2 nights in the coop that is in the pen so he knows where home is. The pen is not finished, but its good enough to contain him. Its another day before the pen is complete because I have to put the netting around the top half and then put in a roof.

He is a few months away from Some hens of his own breed joining him due to the fact they are still in the brooder but I have some F1 Olive Eggers that I was going to give to my Welsummer rooster but I sold him as a pair and now I have the perfect match for an F1 Olive Egger.
You are so kind to take this guy in. I know he’ll do well under your care.

He was aggressive yesterday and I didn't want to post about it, hoping it was just a bad mood day. Today he was aggressive at every interaction I had with him, doing his flutter kicks repeatedly. I tend to laugh at them when they do that and I went about making adjustments to his pen because It hadn't been completed yet. The pen is being designed for breeding leghorns so it needed to be extra tight to contain escape artists in the future. Then he got me real hard with his spur which I had not trimmed yet. Left a huge bruise and a puncture wound. The more I thought about it the more I realized this guy is not going to improve. He will be a liability to keep because he could seriously hurt a little kid if he got out. Tomorrow I believe he gets processed and then his coop cleaned out good with some mite/lice killing spray just to be safe and a leghorn rooster moves in.

I was just thinking that Peck may have been in the horrible condition that he was in because his previous owner couldn't approach him due to his bad attitude.
Although why they didn't dispense with him, we will never know. Anyway, I'm sorry it turned out like this.:(

It was probably someone that has the attitude that they cannot dispense anything that they raised.

Back
Top Bottom