stretching neck to breathe after head injury... any hope, what can I do for her? UPDATE: She died.

Back on the Farm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland
Earlier today, my dog chased & spooked my RR head first into a tree. She walked away and appeared to be fine, but when I checked on her this afternoon, she is having difficulty breathing. She is stretching her neck and gasping for breath - you can hear her breathe and it rattles a bit. I've isolated her in my 'hospital' coop (aka - chick brooder) and she is under a lamp (not hot, just to help her keep warm in my basement) She has access to water, no food.

She's just over a year old and weighs about 6 lbs. Her beak is bruised from where she hit the tree.
Her head isn't swollen, but her comb & wattles are turning purplish (they aren't the bright red they should be). She isn't opening her eyes all the way - I believe from the strained breathing.

She isn't standing in the 'hospital' but laying down on the bedding and not moving.

I'm not sure if there is anything I can do for her. I know that chickens are fairly resiliant - but I'm not sure if she is going to recover or not from this injury.

Straight advice would be great... if I need to put her out of her misery, I'd rather do it now than later.

UPDATE: I think she suffered internal injuries and she died a few hours later. My only regret was thinking that she just needed quiet & rest to recover. I should have taken care of her so that she didn't suffer so long. My dogs usually protect my chickens and the chickens usually stay away from the dogs. This was just a freak accident.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am not sure what to tell you to do. the wattles and the comb would seem to indicate a lack of oxygen. sounds like she did a number on her self... so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom