STRICT RULE no pitbulls Period

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenlover54, Oct 25, 2009.

1. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    That is my mom's rule and it always has been. I want to get a puppy and saw a sign up for free puppies so my mom saID YES. I called the women and now its a big NO because the mom was a pit and the dad was a husky. Whats your opinion? My mom thinks this way because one time my sisters friend's neighbor had a pitbull and it killed there kitten. She descriminates against all pitbulls but are mixes reallly that bad?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think just about any dog raised from puppy-hood with cats will do fine with them, even a full blooded pit. Now, because of certain breeds' sizes, or other features (pits and a few others have those huge mouths, sight oriented dogs like grayhounds will chase), you're gonna' have to work a lot with socialization skills, because most pups will play rough and may not realize that they can really hurt another animal. However, if your mom has that bias (and I somewhat understand where she's coming from...pits get a lot of negative media attention), you may have to look elsewhere. There are tons of pups out there that need homes, so you will find one that both you and your mom love. Mixed breeds are generally very healthy...

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never had a pit and I know not all pits are bad dogs, but those are two breeds with high prey drives. I've got 2 husky mixes so I know those well. I think that combination of breeds probably has the potential, without lots of time, supervision and training, to cause some problems. It really all depends on the individual dog.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

In my house, what I say goes ! So, I agree with your mom. There are thousands of breeds and crosses. Keep looking.....

The perfect puppy is out there somewhere.

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I don't think that pits are bad dogs but they have been known to hurt and kill. Another thing is that it depends on how you treat the dog. If you teach it to be aggressive it will be aggresive. Do you get my point? I think you should keep looking though.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a general rule to never get a dog that can fit my head in its mouth.

7. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Bad dogs aren't born they are made!

8. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Some home owners insurances also frown on clients owning breeds of dogs that are known to be viscious. Unfortunately, pit bulls are on that list.

10. Abby's mom

Abby's mom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2009
    In the cabbage patch
    Quote:some insurance companies will cancel you or upon renewal, they will make your rates so high you will not renew the policy all because the breed of your dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by