stumbling quail - 6 week old male

socalbackyard

Hatching
Aug 24, 2020

Noticed this male having trouble walking a few days ago. No neck problems, no signs of wry neck. Still quite active, will get around to eat and drink. Water is clean, food is clean. I have checked it's legs and feet, no signs of cuts or broken bones.

No other quail in the pen has similar issues. All active despite a heatwave last week.

Is there anything I could do for this bird? Should I isolate it from the other birds?

It looks like his leg is injured. You might try isolating him for a while to heal, but if it's a slipped tendon or something like that it might not. Is a vet an option?

When I picked him up I couldn't see any injuries and he didn't react much to being touched in the legs. I will still bring him in to heal inside. Hopefully being away from the heat will help him out. No unfortunately no vets available right now. Will be contacting my uncle who is a farm vet and see what his opinion is. Thank you for the reply 👍🏼

Wanted to add a quick update to the thread! Chick is all good, he made a full recovery! Many people irl suggested he may have been bit by a spider. Kept him inside for two weeks and fed him some garlic alongside his regular feed. (I am making no claims as to the health benefits to garlic!)

His strength came back slowly and once he was able to stand on his own, I placed him back out to the coop. :D

Wanted to add a quick update to the thread! Chick is all good, he made a full recovery! Many people irl suggested he may have been bit by a spider. Kept him inside for two weeks and fed him some garlic alongside his regular feed. (I am making no claims as to the health benefits to garlic!)

His strength came back slowly and once he was able to stand on his own, I placed him back out to the coop. :D

Glad to hear he recovered :)

Back
Top Bottom