Subcutaneous knot with scab

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Slotred, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Slotred

Slotred Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    One of my four Australorp hens, who is otherwise very healthy, has an olive-sized knot just under the bottom of her breastbone. A scab has developed, and it is oozing around the edges. Some feathers in the area have been pulled out, I assume by her pecking at the sore. Any ideas about what I can do? She is a one-year-old hen who has a very sanitary coop & run, and she is allowed to forage outside for at least an hour every day.The other three hens are perfectly healthy.

2. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I would just clean around the sore and get the ooze off. You can use a little peroxide to bubble out the dirt from the sore. Just be sure to dilute it with some water. Add just a little more water than peroxide. Then pat it dry with some gauze or paper towel. It may be from a predator she got away from or may have somehow scraped herself. You could also put some antibiotic ointment around the scab edges. Hope this helps!!

3. Slotred

Feb 11, 2011
    Thanks very much. I don't know what kind of predator could have gotten to her. My coop & run are just a little more secure than Fort Knox, but perhaps a spider could have bitten her while she was foraging. The knot is rather large for a bite, but I'll try the peroxide and some polysporin.

4. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I'm not sure where you live but here in eastern NC snakes are beginning to come out. Just a thought. I had a young hen who got bit by my dog (who dug under my buried fence) last year and I really thought she was going to die, but I kept the wound clean and dry and she was walking again in 2 days. You could try a bit of crushed asprin in her water if she seems like she is in pain. Good Luck!!!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. Slotred

Feb 11, 2011
    Thanks for the excellent advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by