Success with nesting boxes in the run?

MidlandChicks

Songster
Apr 8, 2022
North Carolina
Hi guys, has anyone had success with nesting boxes in an enclosed and covered run? Our girls will start laying in late summer/early fall and our coop’s design has made it difficult to place nesting boxes in a spot that would easy for gathering eggs. The run is extremely secure and predator proof. There is an automatic door that opens up first thing in the morning and closes once it gets close to dark. Thanks!!

The run is extremely secure and predator proof
Then why have the automatic door? Or does it permit access outside the run?
If the run is as predator proof as the coop, leave the door open all the time and install your nest boxes in the run.

Last edited:
Then why have the automatic door? Or does it permit access outside the run?
If the run is as predator proof as the coop, leave the door open all the time and install your nest boxes in the run.
Good point! Just paranoid because it’s our first time raising chickens so wanted to have another layer of protection, just in case something crazy were to happen and a predator somehow got in (highly unlikely but it helps me sleep better at night!).

Good point! Just paranoid because it’s our first time raising chickens so wanted to have another layer of protection, just in case something crazy were to happen and a predator somehow got in (highly unlikely but it helps me sleep better at night!).
Eh, nothing wrong with an extra layer of security. ;)

Nest boxes in the run are fine as long as the birds can access them as soon as they're up in the morning, and as long as they're protected from the elements.

Eh, nothing wrong with an extra layer of security. ;)

Nest boxes in the run are fine as long as the birds can access them as soon as they're up in the morning, and as long as they're protected from the elements.
Right?! 😊 Perfect. Thank you!! We’re going to do some brainstorming and see if there’s a way to make it work in the coop but if not, we’ll get them situated in the run.

I have a few plastic totes as nest boxes in the run for my bigger girls. They just have a hard time getting up into the regular boxes, that having these on the ground is easier on them. They are 30" sterlite totes with lids and a large access hole in the side. I put something heavy in the bottom to stop tipping and the wind from blowing them away.

I have a few plastic totes as nest boxes in the run for my bigger girls. They just have a hard time getting up into the regular boxes, that having these on the ground is easier on them. They are 30" sterlite totes with lids and a large access hole in the side. I put something heavy in the bottom to stop tipping and the wind from blowing them away.
That’s a great solution! That makes me feel better about putting nesting boxes in the run if we need to. I wasn’t sure if anyone did it or not. None of ours are too big so we’ll probably mount the boxes on to one of the walls in their run. Thank you so much!

I buy cat litter in the really large plastic containers with the hinged lids. After cutting the lid at the hinge, I have been using one as a nest box in one of the coops. It's the right size and is easily cleaned. Last week, while I was cleaning the coop, I sat the nest box on the ground. Soon after, one of the hens, who couldn't wait for me to finish, plopped into the box and laid her egg right out in the middle of everything.

Back
Top Bottom