Sudden death please help..BBB turkey. graphic

auringer6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
I am so so upset right now. My Tom was fine he was 12 weeks old and today he was fine. Then he started acting like he was gagging on something so we held him upside down to try and help him. It made it worse. I killed him. I am so heart broken, not sure I can do the whole meat bird thing. Granted we got attached to these birds a big NO NO and we know better. We figured he died cause of the gagging. We started to process him. And well now I don't think I can even do meat birds. The sadness I feel for the loss is like losing my dog. :( granted our new meat birds I stay away from other then feeding them. Anyhow while processing him we just cut what little meat there was, then we cut him open and gently to avoid cutting anything we didn't want to. Anyhow I have no idea what we where looking at but there was alto of water in his chest. I told hubby it was the dunk. He said he did not see how that much water could get into his chest. We never did find anything my daughter things she hugged him to death. I am not sure if I should be worried about the rest of our birds. Or if there was a accident I did not see. Anyone have any idea what could have happened. He was drooling a lot as well. changes lately is 2 new birds but they are in a run, and I started Vitamins to the water. Also I a not sure if it is even safe to eat the meat not knowing why he died. Less alone if I will be able to eat him.
Thanks
Clarissa

Sorry about the loss of your turkey. You seem to be very attached to those animals which is great. Maybe consider becoming a vegetarian and stop eating those birds? Just a thought...

Sorry about your loss. I just picked up some poults from DESERTMARCY, and she had mentioned something about how a turkey can die if it drinks too much water. There was a name for it but I cannnot remember what it was. Try to PM her to see if she might have an answer for you.

I am so so upset right now. My Tom was fine he was 12 weeks old and today he was fine. Then he started acting like he was gagging on something so we held him upside down to try and help him. It made it worse. I killed him. I am so heart broken, not sure I can do the whole meat bird thing. Granted we got attached to these birds a big NO NO and we know better. We figured he died cause of the gagging. We started to process him. And well now I don't think I can even do meat birds. The sadness I feel for the loss is like losing my dog. :( granted our new meat birds I stay away from other then feeding them. Anyhow while processing him we just cut what little meat there was, then we cut him open and gently to avoid cutting anything we didn't want to. Anyhow I have no idea what we where looking at but there was alto of water in his chest. I told hubby it was the dunk. He said he did not see how that much water could get into his chest. We never did find anything my daughter things she hugged him to death. I am not sure if I should be worried about the rest of our birds. Or if there was a accident I did not see. Anyone have any idea what could have happened. He was drooling a lot as well. changes lately is 2 new birds but they are in a run, and I started Vitamins to the water. Also I a not sure if it is even safe to eat the meat not knowing why he died. Less alone if I will be able to eat him.
Thanks
Clarissa
So sorry for your loss as well.Is it hot where you are, were they over heated or was it just normal temperature weather? Were they outdoors, drinking/going through normal amounts of water?

Back
Top Bottom