Sudden death

duck9147

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2015
Hi i had 2 ducks they are about 2 months , yesterday one of them died right in front of my eyes for no reason. He was eating and healthy 20 mins before then he sat down but he was okey suddenly he starts moving his neck and wings unnaturally and sadly died it just took about 20 second , i was shocked and didn't do anything

Just wanna know why and is the other one will be ok? He missed his little buddy :(((

I'm so sorry. It must have been very hard to witness. Did he seem to lose control of his neck? As in he couldn't pick it up.

yea exactly and when he died his neck stretched out forward
At 2 months they probably weren't out foraging where they could have gotten into anything toxic? what about feed look at it closely smell it too sometimes we can buy a bag of feed that is moldy or off and can cause toxic death. I am so sorry for your loss. Also temps where are you keeping them they probably are close to being feathered in if not but sometimes frigid temps can chill them at a young age too. I had an adult duck die in front of me from egg laying problems and she stretched her neck out before she died too. That maybe pretty common. Botulism which is referred to as Limber neck makes the neck where they can't control it you would have noticed that before it died if you were right there. A necropy can be preformed if you still have the body ag extension in your area can give you an idea where it can be done.

I hope you can find a little friend for the one left it is going to be very lonely.

Last edited:
Thanx miss lydia, is 40 degrees lethal for a feathered(not fully) swedish duck?

Last edited:
I get my little dude a peking duck, but they are not getting along very well(it's been 12 hrs) ,is it takes time? Or i should do something about it?

I get my little dude a peking duck, but they are not getting along very well(it's been 12 hrs) ,is it takes time? Or i should do something about it?
Get your temp up around 50 like Amiga says. and is the new Pekin an adult? separate some how so they can see each other but can't get to each other after a few days this way try putting them together again it takes time for ducks to accept newbies and if the Pekin is larger than Little Dude he may injure him. or little dude may injure the pekin. If you can place some type if fencing or even an old screen [window] in between the 2 of them this will give them time to get to know each other.

Get your temp up around 50 like Amiga says. and is the new Pekin an adult? separate some how so they can see each other but can't get to each other after a few days this way try putting them together again it takes time for ducks to accept newbies and if the Pekin is larger than Little Dude he may injure him. or little dude may injure the pekin. If you can place some type if fencing or even an old screen [window] in between the 2 of them this will give them time to get to know each other.

I have even used a large dog crate to keep newbies separate till they get to know each other better. Just make sure they are warm enough.

He is a little bit older but they are the same size, my swedish is kinda big for his age ,they are not hostile just ignoring each other.
Yea im keeping them inside now...
Thanx again miss lydia ure the best wish me luck

Back
Top Bottom