• 6/7 years

• more than 7 years

Results are only viewable after voting.

cluckledoodleoo

Hatching
Apr 16, 2019
Hi all,
Sadly, on Sunday morning one of my hens passed away.:hit
She's a Light Sussex hen and she'll be 6 years old in July. We were initially told that her and her sisters' life expectancy would be 5/6 years but I've heard a variety of things: from 3 years to 11! (can anyone confirm?)
I let her and the other two out into the garden in the morning and they all seemed perfectly normal. Suddenly, she jerked as if something had hit her. She then had, what looked like, a seizure and in the next few moments she was gone. It came as a shock as she showed no signs of weakness or illness beforehand. Anyone know whether this was normal?
I'm glad she was able to spend her last moments in the garden, roaming freely :) We're getting her cremated and we'll create a little memorial for her. It's so odd to go out and not hear her - her sisters are being awfully quiet too. :(
Thank you in advance for any replies x

Last edited:
there is such thing as sudden death syndrome, she may have gotten that and I am sorry you lost your hen:hugs:hugs and a hens lifespan can be either super short or super long depending on how well she was treated and taken care of

Back
Top Bottom