Sudden Hen Death, Now I'm Paranoid

Gemsbok

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 6, 2015
This morning I found my 2 year old Silver Laced Wyandotte, Peppermint, dead in the coop. She had no injuries, she was fine the night before; eating and drinking and pooping and chasing down bugs. There was no hard mass in her abdomen to suggest egg binding. She wasn't wheezing or acting lethargic. There was no sign of what happened, and I'm absolutely devastated. A day before her comb was bright red and she clucking and dustbathing and being a little diva, and in the morning she was lying on her side, dead.

Now, my remaining Gold Laced Wyandotte, Coyote, has been not only heartbreakingly calling for Pep, but I haven't seen her poop all day. I'm not sure if I just missed it or not, I haven't been staring at her all day, but she's been up and about.and eating a bit; there's food in her crop as of me checking her tonight, and her crop was empty this morning when I let her out. She seems lost and confused, since Pep was the only other chicken I had, maybe she's just distressed? I'm waiting on new pullets in the mail now, so she won;t be alone for long at least.

Basically my question is, if she had some blockage, would she show signs? Would there be swelling or straining or anything to look for? I'm terrified I'm going to find her dead in the morning, and I could really use some reassurance or guidance.

Make sure that you offer some cool water, her usual chicken feed perhaps with a little water added to moisten it, and give her a bit of soft chopped egg, tuna, or liver. It can be common for chickens to be lonely, since they are more comfortable in a flock. It can help to get a hen near her age, or at least fully grown to introduce to her for company. Maybe place her in a cage with food and water near your porch or another animal for company.

Just as an update, she's alright this morning and there's fresh, normal poop in the coop. I'm just being anxious, I suppose. Thank you, I'm going to give her some scrambled eggs anyway, it can't hurt. While I'm unable to get an adult hen, the pullets are going to be in an enclosure attached to the run's fence, so she'll have some interaction with them without being able to hurt them,

Back
Top Bottom