Sudden onset chick constipation

A chick can get constipated very quickly and die from it just as quickly. It's absolutely crucial to treat with oil at the first sign of constipation. A very simple thing such as not drinking enough water can cause it.

I recommend coconut oil chilled to hardness. Break off about a half teaspoon of pea size bits and have them in a dish with an ice cube to keep them hard. This is easier than trying to get liquid oil into a chick and have it end up all over you instead.

A chick's beak is like an alligator's, nearly impossible to open, but if you know the trick, it's not that hard. Grasp the chick from the back with your weak hand. While holding its head steady, stick a thumb nail of your dominant hand into the beak and pry it open. Once you have it open, bring your thumb and middle finger around its head with your weak hand and keep the beak propped open while slipping one pea size bit of oil at a time into its beak with your dominant hand. You will need to allow the chick to close its beak and swallow each piece. Take your time.

After getting the oil into the chick, follow up with a teaspoon of warm water with a very slender syringe aiming for the chick's right side of its throat. Give it time to swallow each drop.

The chick's vent is swollen and sore from straining to poop. Be very careful not to scrub or rub the vent as the tissue is super fragile. A little coconut oil on the vent can soothe and help heal it.
Alright, I will head out for coconut oil. I live a long way from any store with that- should I try a few drops of mineral oil in mash or would that not work as well?

Mineral oil will work fine. It's just a little more difficult to get into the chick. I am not inclined to recommend feeding any food until the intestines unblock. Do you have an eye dropper or a very narrow oral syringe? It's best to get the oil into the chick and let it soften the blockage before introducing more food.

When I had a four-week old chick get suddenly constipated, I gave the oil in the evening and in the morning, there was an over-size turd from the chick, and she had bounced back miraculously.

I just drove to the store with the coconut oil. I should have it back to him in an hour and then we will see how it goes. The whole flock passed out after the earlier chaos and I haven’t heard a peep out of anyone. I guess I’ll just throw it in ice water to harden, keep the rest in the fridge?

No need to refrigerate the coconut oil. It will remain solid as long as your kitchen is under 75F. Above that, it softens, then melts to a liquid.

The cooling is to make it solid so it's easier and safer to put into a small chick. Keep it around as it's a very excellent chicken first aid med. It's a natural anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and anti-fungal. I bet you didn't know you can cure human toenail fungus with it.

I advise you to get the chick and treat it tonight. Constipation could kill it by morning.

It worked! He is pooping all over!! Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone!!! :bow He actually liked the solid coconut oil and then drank after he expelled this huge weird looking poo. He is now playing happily and I’ve put oil on his inflamed rear end. :wee I don’t have any food in there right now... I’m assuming it’s okay to give everyone (including Ned) their regular food tomorrow?

No need to refrigerate the coconut oil. It will remain solid as long as your kitchen is under 75F. Above that, it softens, then melts to a liquid.

The cooling is to make it solid so it's easier and safer to put into a small chick. Keep it around as it's a very excellent chicken first aid med. It's a natural anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and anti-fungal. I bet you didn't know you can cure human toenail fungus with it.

I advise you to get the chick and treat it tonight. Constipation could kill it by morning.
You are a saint- thank you!

Mineral oil is a good lubricant. I would use it until you can get the coconut oil tomorrow. But if you can get the coconut oil it is good. I would only give the mineral oil in food, but the coconut oil can be given in chilled chunks.
Thanks for recommending the coconut oil in chilled pieces. Worked beautifully!

Back
Top Bottom