Suggest a OEGB hen to me please

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I plan to call Ideal tomorrow to see about moving my June 9th order forward a week (to June 2nd) so that I can add two silkies to my order.
If that's not possible, I want to add two OEGB pullets to my order instead. My hope is for a natural born broody.
Problem is, Ideal has about 20 different varieties/colors of OEGBs to choose from.
Suggest a variety to me please; keeping in mind I REALLY WANT A BROODY!

Also, I know Ideal will tell me that the two OEGB will ship fine with the 12 standard chicks I've ordered; but what do you think about them shipping together? And will I have a good broody if I get two?

TIA
smile.png

Last edited:
get a rosecomb. I've had hens raise 3 clutches in a year. right now I have 3; mother, daughter and granddaughter (9 months) ... all broody
big_smile.png
and rosecombs are very similar to oegb if that's what floats your boat.

side note: i've heard oegb mke excellent broodies
idunno.gif

Dang it all!
barnie.gif

Okay, now I'm looking at the japanese.
hmm.png

ETA: And the rosecomb!

Last edited:
My little bantam red Cochin Ruby is growing out her 3rd clutch since August '09 - when she came to live with us. I think her sole purpose in life is to hatch eggs and raise babies
big_smile.png
- nothing seems to make her happier.

Even my large Cochins are great broody moms - but no one here has come close to Ruby's record. She keeps her weight well and seems to be able to "count" her chicks - great mom.

Back
Top Bottom