Suggested breed for a new chicken owner

GoobyGriffin

Hatching
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Hello I was just wondering what chicks you would suggest for a person new at chicken raising. I want it to be pretty hardy and calm and docile. I really like buff orpingtons but I would love to hear your suggestions for a new chick raiser.

I would say Brahmas. They are dual purpose, fat, and lazy. Only thing is with them being the second largest breed of chickens they eat A LOT. I get eggs about every other day from mine. Never butchered one but probably would make a decent carcass. I rarely work with my birds and they are always calm. I took a trio down to the fairgrounds when 1,000+ first graders were there on a field trip. All I did was throw them on the floor and they just layed there while the kids were petting them.

Buff Orpingtons are a good breed too. The roosters can get mean occasionally unlike Brahmas. Mine were just hatchery stock and were relatively calm but far from quiet! MY one back this obnoxious backing/yelling noise all the time. I think they were confused on what gender they were LOL. I always saw them mounting the other hens
idunno.gif

I have Ameraucanas in my bator now. They are suppose to be calm, also. Plus they lay blue eggs as a benefit. Not great winter layers or so I've been told. These guys tend to want to be your best friend.

I would go to the hatchery websites and look and see what some different breeds are that you like and then research them. That's how I find the breeds I raise. I do NOT advise you order from a hatchery though. Most birds won't conform to their standard. I almost always buy from a breeder.

Thanks so much Brahmas are cute I really liked orpingtons for the color and americanas are cute and I have a friend with day old chicks that came to the cage door the first time they saw me! they also sat on my hand which is cute.

Back
Top Bottom