Sunken eye, mint poop, and neck issues in duck

SweetLilDuckies

Chirping
May 6, 2020
Sunday evening one of my hens(4 month old runner) was having trouble holding up her head so I brought her inside. Some feathers on her neck were missing but were mostly matted down. There was slight evidence of a scratch due to a hint of blood but I wasn’t able to find it. She’s been improving but can’t really drink/eat if it’s lower than her chest. She can only lift her head when it’s above her chest, otherwise it hangs limp until she retracts her neck. Her left eye has also seemed to sink deeper into her head and isn’t visible looking straight on like her right eye, and both have a little redness around the edge(particularly the left). Since she’s been isolated her poop has been normal/mint green colored. I’m unable to take her to the vet and would like to get her back to the flock as quick as her recovery will allow. Any idea as to how to help her eye and fix her neck/poop?

It sounds like she is not getting enough nutrients, especially since she can't eat properly, and needs tube feeding. Not enough nutrients can cause weakness in the neck, but it could also be due to an injury as well. The mint color dropping also suggests she is not getting enough nutrients as well. Can you take a picture of the poop.

Here is a thread on tube feeding.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

@Miss Lydia, @Isaac 0 and @casportpony may be able to help as well with other thoughts on the neck.

I'm sorry about your little Runner. Usually, when one retracts their necks they are injured or not feeling good. Sounds like either or in your case. You saw a bit of blood but haven't been able to trace where it came from? Where is the scratch? could a predator have gotten to her? Reached through fencing and grabbed her by the neck?
A picture of her eyes would be good and her poop and of her whole body so we can see how she is holding herself.
They can't live long without nourishment I am in agreement with @Quatie she should be tube feed it's not hard honest just follow the directions in the link Quatie gave you. Getting the supplies is the hardest but even that isn't too hard.

If she will try and eat but can't hold her head down to do it can you raise her food and water up to where she can get to it?

She eats and drinks normally when I lift the food and water, It’s possible a predator reached her(they free range during the day), but in the past there’s always been a very visible injury. I tried to find it by lightly pressing on her neck looking for a reaction but there was none.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 0
She eats and drinks normally when I lift the food and water, It’s possible a predator reached her(they free range during the day), but in the past there’s always been a very visible injury. I tried to find it by lightly pressing on her neck looking for a reaction but there was none.
View attachment 2818767View attachment 2818809View attachment 2818810
Her poop does suggest she is not getting enough nutrients and is likely dehydrated too. A duck normally eats about 0.4lbs of food a day. I would suggest weighing some food to give yourself an idea of how much food she should be eating. Ducks have much higher metabolisms than us and need lots of food. If you can permanently move the food and water up, that may help. It is better if they can eat on their own, but ducks don't always eat enough to sustain them.

If it were my duck, I would tube feed her until she is able to eat enough on her own. I would also really be worried about dehydration and give her electrolytes via a tube as well. A lot of times tube feeding can give them the extra boost to help them through the recovery.

Back
Top Bottom