Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

I'm suddenly imcredibly confused about chicken anatomy.... not sure I want to know.
it is called a "kiss". The sperm is produced, and the touch to the outside of the hen's canal gets it into place. The sperm always has to travel, the chicken just starts on the outside surface instead of inside the body. It is a great design, much less likely to produce infection in the female.

I disagree, there is nothing shameful in the anatomy of a duck. All are made as intended. False discretion limits who has information, and that serves no one. Reproduction is the most basic of all nature's processes, bacteria-on-up, everything has at its core the drive to continue life. I have ducks and chickens, I didn't know the danger until someone here warned me. I am very grateful for the knowledge. Without a duck's penis, we don't get ducklings.

I agree. I think that this is information that should definitely be more well known. I meant it more as a joke, and was it in bad taste? Probably. Sorry if I offended you

I disagree, there is nothing shameful in the anatomy of a duck. All are made as intended. False discretion limits who has information, and that serves no one. Reproduction is the most basic of all nature's processes, bacteria-on-up, everything has at its core the drive to continue life. I have ducks and chickens, I didn't know the danger until someone here warned me. I am very grateful for the knowledge. Without a duck's penis, we don't get ducklings.
Reproduction is an incredible thing
It's just a weird topic to get into 🤣

Definitely important when considering ducks with chickens- I may get chickens someday in the distant future, but I'd personally not risk housing them with male ducks. My future boys would have to be completely separate.

I have a poor girl who has been dealing with vent gleat since December
It’s a daily routine to have a finger in her vent 3 times a day
We are now just past 2 weeks of fungal meds and I’m not seeing any improvements yet
I just hope this gets figured out as I hate doing it to her
eventually I used a Q-tip to get it to her, just on the outside and about an inch inside.

it is called a "kiss". The sperm is produced, and the touch to the outside of the hen's canal gets it into place. The sperm always has to travel, the chicken just starts on the outside surface instead of inside the body. It is a great design, much less likely to produce infection in the female.
That makes more sense about how harmful drakes can be.
That sounds somewhat easier on the hens.
Bizarre but interesting, thank you for explaining

Do prolapses not happen to male chickens then? Or?
Maybe a dumb question.

I'm suddenly imcredibly confused about chicken anatomy.... not sure I want to know.

Please :lau

OK here it goes. The duck penis has an almost corkscrew shape, so on top of the fact that the chicken is not anatomically designed to receive something internally, it's even more painful because of the shape of the penis

I agree. I think that this is information that should definitely be more well known. I meant it more as a joke, and was it in bad taste? Probably. Sorry if I offended you
Not in bad taste at all
And it's completely fine to find elements of duck keeping and duck anatomy gross 🤣
I love them none the less, but boy sometimes they weird me out.

My girls and I have a question about an action our male ducks do....
When I come up the walk from parking my car, the male ducks do a deeeep neck/head plunge and swoop back up as long as their necks will let them. Very fluid! I can see about getting a video of it.
What does this mean?
We have seen the neck bobs, especially int he water, to the females. But there is this deep, super expressive plunge and swoop... usually ending with hackle feathers up ( back of the neck, all the way down)... no charging or aggression.
Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom