Surgery a few days ago, was doing great, now lethargic

Pics
Nystatin oral
So earlier you asked about how the medication would work it her crop if not emptying and I think you will be happy to hear that it doesn't need to empty for the Nystatin to work. Nystatin works by touching the yeast, not by being absorbed in the blood.

So earlier you asked about how the medication would work if her crop if not emptying and I think you will be happy to hear that it doesn't need to empty for the Nystatin to work. Nystatin works by touching the yeast, not by being absorbed in the blood.
Good! Ty. I was expecting to see some progress with it by now though. She's had three doses and it's been almost four hours.
She refused the egg and yogurt.

What does her poop look like?
It was a greenish yellow but now looks more brown. It's in small amounts and much of it is watery. She's not had solid food in days though. I tube fed until this time yesterday, no food since then.
I'm not sure if I should tube feed or wait another day and hope she feels up for eating?

If I tube feed her, what about tube feeding just raw egg and yogurt? I don't know what to give her at this point.

I'm also concerned because I CANT tube feed every couple of hours. If you can't tell already, I desperately want her to get better. She's gone through so much already and has an amazing spirit.

Last edited:
I use yogurt or keifer and raw egg plus Nutri-drench in the tubing slurry. It works fine.

It's a very, very good sign that she's showing this degree of improvement. I am optimistic now that she's turned the corner and will continue to heal. It appears this hen isn't ready to leave this world.
I'm scared to death to overfill her and she'll throw up!

Thank you again for all your help. Truly.

Just gave her 20 ml of yogurt and egg.
Update...took her outside and carried her for a few minutes. She was so happy about that.

Attachments

• PXL_20221004_195522469.jpg
    PXL_20221004_195522469.jpg
    756.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hello! I just wanted to say that you are one of the most amazing animals owners I have ever seen, and given this little sweet hen so much. Thank you for taking such good care of her, I don’t think anyone could do better than you. We need more people like you in this world.

Hello! I just wanted to say that you are one of the most amazing animals owners I have ever seen, and given this little sweet hen so much. Thank you for taking such good care of her, I don’t think anyone could do better than you. We need more people like you in this world.
Wow. Thank you. You gave me tears. I just hope she can survive and live a good healthy life.

Back
Top Bottom