Surgery a few days ago, was doing great, now lethargic

Pics
Officially off of meds. Not eating yet on her own though. :( That part is very discouraging. Unfortunately it's also very cold out so she's stuck in the house all day. BUT, she's very perky, curious, alert!
Are you still tube feeding, if so how often?
Will she eat treats, like egg or anything?
At least shes still perky.

Have you tried scrambled eggs, maybe a little cut up fruit -- something that would be easy for her to pick up with a sore beak?

Glad to hear that she is perky. Was her crop empty again this morning?

I'm tube feeding her baby bird food three times a day, 45ml each time.

She won't eat treats or treats. She seems somewhat interested but not sure if it's the beak that's hurting now or something else.

Her crop was empty or about 90 percent or so empty.

I just found myself wondering if maybe she doesn't like the Kalmbach Flock Maker pellets or that maybe crumble would be easier. I ordered Purina Flock Maker crumble from Amazon, to arrive Thursday. Probably a long shot.

I have to imagine that her sore beak is not helping her desire to eat. But, with her meds done, her crop emptying and her attitude perky, I am optimistic that she will want to resume eating fairly soon. The times I've had a birds who I've had to syringe feed, I would offer them up as much variety as I could to see what finally did the trick in whetting their appetite. Offering crumbles, wet mash, etc. is a good idea. If you think her crop has recovered enough, you might even try some scratch or sunflower seeds, just to see what get's her motivated. In my cases, once they got started eating something, they rapidly regained an interest in their regular food again.

Best of luck with everything. Your dedication to your hen is incredible.

I tried scratch last night but no luck.

How's her beak looking to you all? PXL_20221019_104333234.jpg

You've done an awesome job. I agree now is the time to start offering more enticing foods. At this stage in her recovery try offering apples, cantaloupe, hard boiled egg-anything to get her to start eating.

Back
Top Bottom