Surprise, you are a mother!

I only got a few from mama, didn't want to disturb the little one too much tonight. This is what I saw out of the 3 I observed:
1) The entire egg was dark but the end. There was a little "air bubble".
2) Half of the egg was dark, the other half had an "air bubble".
3) My phone did a terrible job capturing it, but there were visible veins!

I'll get back out there tomorrow when it warms up & I can get the baby out to eat & drink! ☺
It can be difficult to get clear candling photos, I can't do it to save my life haha!
The first and last photo are fertile and growing ya! They aren't very far along though. Maybe a week depending on how long the veins are. Those will be abandoned my mom since they wont hatch soon. You will need to get a bator and do the rest of the process yourself. Depending on the broody, you could have 1-3 days before she leaves, 3 days if your lucky. The middl egg looks much farther along, and I see veins! That one looks great! I'm not experienced enough to say wether or not it will hatch soon, or needs longer. @Fluffy Lambs is experienced with candling progression photos, maybe she can say wether that needs a bator or not. This also a good article with progression photos that might help. Article 'Candling Pics Progression Through Incubation Of Chicken Eggs'
If the middle egg does need a bator, you will have a staggered hatch yourself. You need to put eggs into lockdown on day 18, so if this one goes into lockdown before the other two, the high humidity you need in lockdown might be an issue. You may need two bators. A lockdown bator and a bator for the rest of the eggs.
I do suggest you mark the eggs depending on how far along they are. Maybe mark the middle egg blue, and the other 2 red? Something to tell you who is farther along, and who might be hatching soon.

Tip: Changing the filter to black and white in edit on your phone can sometimes make it easier to see veins.

I only got a few from mama, didn't want to disturb the little one too much tonight. This is what I saw out of the 3 I observed:
1) The entire egg was dark but the end. There was a little "air bubble".
2) Half of the egg was dark, the other half had an "air bubble".
3) My phone did a terrible job capturing it, but there were visible veins!

I'll get back out there tomorrow when it warms up & I can get the baby out to eat & drink! ☺
Yay! Congrats on those! The middle egg looks like it should hatch any day now. I have a thread with a few pictures here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/egg-development-not-a-question.1492755/

Back
Top Bottom