Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

OH soooooo funny! Sisters! What to do when it comes to family. The chickens are such a hoot! How can you not talk about them? Have I mentioned that my RIR are tied at the hip? If one is in laying, they are both in the nesting box. It is so funny. And that new Plymouth rock hen is laying - her name is Gilda Radner and she talks constantly. When she is laying she kind of sings to herself for comfort. When she first started laying her flock members knew she did not appreciate pooping out an egg.

Yet, I don't waste my time telling those that would not appreciate. When some people learn I have chickens they get so excited. I answer their questions and tell them I will never be without chickens again. IF someone does not like that too bad sis-ta. But then I am old enough now to have the 'attitude.' If you don't like me its none of my business.

1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Ivie,

We are kind of in the same boat. My wife will ask me what I want and I say nothing. We get each other little trinket doodads for Christmas. We are lucky enough to not have to worry about things we need. We just buy them.

Now things we want is a different story. We can both find things we want, but they are more than a few hundred bucks, usually in the 5-6 figure range and we are smart enough to not buy them.

But if any of you are thinking of getting me something I want for Christmas here is a list:

A new Dodge 1 ton Pickup 4 wheel drive (I will settle for a Ford also)
    A new 35 ft or larger Motor home and a years supply of gas

A Beechcraft King Air, Will even settle for an old C 90 model, 1800 preferred.

An Artic cat or John Deere 4x4 UTV with enclosed cab, dump box and snow plow

A Ice Castle type fish house with Air must be twin axle.

If you cannot not find what you want to get me send me PM I can give other suggestions

2 people like this.
  3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    People never ask me about my chickens or turkeys any more!

When they did, I would start talking about them and the other persons eyes would get a blank stare and they seemed to go into a standing coma.

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop

LOL. I love this.

Cluckies and Ralphie. this is me, too. I never bring them up-- but everybody that comes to talk to me does. I'll keep going answering their questions until I see their eyes glass over. or I see them peering over my shoulder or what not.
    I know this cue because most conversations I have with people I do the same thing. [​IMG] I'm sort of a person that does well working on my own. You have to be really interesting or teach me something new to keep my attention. I do try to be nice. But I get bored easy I guess.
    I'm one that if there's a ladies' gathering there has to be a craft involved or me cooking up a storm...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

i ORDERED A BLACK DIESEL FOR YOU JUST THIS MORNING! Its loaded. Please explain to Judy.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

That's great! I was hoping for white, but black will do fine Thanks!

This is quite a day! I must be living right.

Ivie ordered me a new truck and I checked the Creamettes and found 2 blue diamond encrusted eggs! Both in the nests, each in a separate box.

What more could a guy ask for, other than one of you nice people to order me a new King Air. If you feel that is a tad much for a gift, I would gladly accept a Bell 206L or a 212.

I would like air, Auto pilot on the 212 the 206L does not have that option.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Sort of on the same vein, the people on the turkey thread came up with a great gift for Judy! I am going to get her a gift Certificate to Porter's turkeys! She will love it!

1 person likes this.
  8. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    So DW was feeling a little Scroogey after devoting so much effort to decorating the nursing home and having to handle all the Christmas planning at her nursing home. She had mentioned early this year that she has always wanted a real Christmas tree. We haven't done any decorating at home yet and weren't really planning to. Well here it comes! KlopKlop saves Christmas!!
    [​IMG]

I stopped in at lowes for some supplies and they had some real trees left. And I snagged one and she loves it!!

And it doubles down right here... Look what kind of bargain skills I have :)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    WOW a Buck!!!

What a deal.

I put our tree up again today. It fell down the first time. The tree stand was not really made for a Norway Pine.

I used a Running bucket (red 5 gallon) Put cross member like boards on the trunk, put the trunk in the bucket, poured 50 pounds of gravel. sand on it and added 2-3 gallons of water.

It is not going anywhere now!

Not a pretty tree, kind of homely, but we like it.

I think I might have been a mischievous Husband today. I kind of flaunted Judy's "no turkey on the deck rule:. I saw the turkeys on the deck, so I opened the door and threw them a bag full of out dated bread crumbs ( dressing croutons).

The turkeys loved them, They were happy little birds! I did ask them to leave the deck after they were done eating. I had to enforce her rule.

1 person likes this.
  10. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

If you look close you can see my KlopKlop's special tree stand I made up in 2 minutes from scrap wood with no cutting :) the tree is zip tied to it haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by