Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    You could, on the really cold days/nights (this is what I did last year) bring her in to the basement, (or garage if it is warmer in there) and then bring her back out when it gets above 10 degrees or so, our basement is unfinished with no heat, so about 50 degrees. She didn't get acclimated to the warmth, and I only had to do it for a couple of really cold below zero days. I guess it depends on how cold it gets, and how much feathers she loses. If she keeps eating and doesn't look miserable, she should be ok to stay out there I would think. Give plenty of protein so she grows her new feathers in quickly. Usually they don't lose all their feathers unless it is a really hard molt. Is she eating and drinking ok? full crop at night, empty crop in the morning? (just want to rule out other issues as she is so young)

2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    LuLu was 5 so she was up there in age.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Coffee, BC is correct, Strawberry is a good name and she is very photogenic. My birds never stand for those pictures.

Judy wants one of those too.....

Porter is safe he is the only Tom that looks like him, If I put a pink ribbon on him Penguin and Ginger will tease him endlessly. Ginger is looking for another Tom that can be harassed, He is tired of being the butt of the Turkey jokes over the name "Ginger".

Holm Sorry on the loss of your hen.

Cluckies CLB's are out if you do not want single combs. All my old roosters have lost the tips. I have one of last summers hatch that still has it, but it is only a matter of time. They have huge floppy single combs with 7 points on them. (or around that) the points freeze off.

I met EJB picked his brain a while. He knows so much about birds. I took Coffee's rooster with me for him to look at. He says he does not think it has any CLB in it either. I am going to say Judy put the wrong egg in the incubator. I know he came from a Blue egg. I have no rose combed roosters and no rose combed hens that I know of. I am fairly sure he is Ole's child. I am guessing one of my EE is the mother do to the blue egg and his looks. Dang JUDY, screwing up like that. He is a young bird and must be a slow developer. I am thinking he was an August Baby. He is now living in the ICU rooms until he gets use to the new coop. I cannot have a mutt in with my CLBs.

The two Partridge Chanticler hens I got are amazing. Ed has such great birds. They are in ICU also. They will be going to breeding pens as soon as possible. I will be putting Ed in with them a few days a week to start then once a week so they can take care of their female urges and have fertile eggs.

I am the proud owner of a cabinet Incubator now! I can do real damage to the chicken math here, now! Thanks EJB!!!!

TTYL

I need to get some work done, the trip north cut into my day, as did stopping to look at fish houses did too....

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Thanks guys!!

Ralph we need pics!!!

2 people like this.
  5. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

She is eating, her crop is red again. It had been quite pale for a couple of mornings. She is up and about with the flock. I will be watching her of course and thank you so much for your words of wisdom. I dunno what I am doing - better now than I was at this time last year - so I am making progress. LOL.

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Put me on your Partridge Chanticler List Ralphie! If I can't find colored egg layers this spring (from breeders) I may have to put eye candy up on the priority list. Jealous you got a visit up there with Ed. I'm sure it was a good chicken chat trip.

7. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

I called it first! Wait your turn! [​IMG]

8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Kloppers I think you are the Budger! LOL.

I guess if I'm going to get Chanteclers I should know how to spell it first. LOL.

Okay Kloppers you can go ahead. I'm going to try to keep to my goal of egg carton color this spring.

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I happen to have an Extra rooster that has the blue egg gene........And I could maybe find you a incubator... I am not talking my CLB's either. I am seriously thinking of sending the whole flock of them packing. The flightiness, the lack of eggs, the single comb, they are just not what they are hyped up to be... Again if you are thinking of getting some or mine, do not remember this post,,EVER!

I am actually going to hatch some EE this year for replacements and eagle fodder. I have the two roosters and even if Coffee takes the one I have the other.

BTW I have not mentioned this to the little woman yet. but she has some junk in one of my sheds that has to go, it is becoming a coop this year, full time. Last year I had chicks in it for about 6-8 weeks, this year it is going full time coop, with two runs. It is a heated building so that will be nice for early chicks next year.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Okay...so I happen to have the same picking points on that particular Egg Color chicken. LOL. Oh How I wish they weren't so small and such...little deviants. LOL. When chicken space is limited a person tends to get picky on the chicken breed...don't they? LOL. Lots of livin' and learnin'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by