Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Congrats on the baby Cyrus!!

2. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Rhetts what are your herefords bred too?? And are they first timers or seasoned cows??

3. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    you sir, are a glutten for punishment. Lol you'll be up every hour on the hour, because I can tell you right now, their schedules will probably not mesh, Murphys law and all that. Lol, but congrats on both, and praise the good Lord you are young. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Cyrus, congrats on the new baby to be. My advice, for what it may be worth, is to spend as much quality time with your kids as you can.
    Soon they are gone, and then it is too late.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Cyrus, I have to echo what EJB says, Before you know it you will be looking back thinking where did all the time go? I wish I could have my kids young again. I no regrets over anything I ever did with the kids, I have lots of regret over the time was not able to be with the kids. BUT I hope to make up for it to be a doting Grandfather.

Grats on the baby and the dog. I think you need a Lab though. But I am a huge Lab fan.

Also would it be possible to get some eggs from the BCM? I happen to have more incubator space than need at the moment. I would be happy to hatch them and spread them out to everyone that wants them.

For that matter, for the rest of you, if you have eggs you need hatched and do not have an incubator, I would be glad to hatch them for you, No charge or anything, I just like hatching chicks. I am hoping I can figure out how this fancy new one works. I am kind of busy doing a bunch of "honeydo" stuff but hope to have the incubator fired up this weekend, then give it a few days to stabilize and me to understand it's quirks, putting eggs in it next week.

If I have no special eggs I might have to throw some EE eggs in.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Cluckies Say Hi to me new BFF.

I have the incubator in the house, I got it in here yesterday during my busy day. I have it setting right in the hallway in the entry. my DW is complaining some about it's placement.

She is kind of demanding I move it. I am thinking she will be happy when she gets home from work tonight. I plan to have it on the dining room table then. She really cannot say anything about that, because she told me to move it.

EJB How tight does it hold the temps? Are there any cold spots inside it? Any hints on moisture levels?

BTW, I promise you all, I will be my normal humble self after the drawing tonight. I am not going to let my soon to be fortune change me in anyway at all. Matter of fact to show you how much t will not change my life, one little bit, I promise to invite you all to a party on my soon to be yacht.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  7. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
  8. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie boy, you have larger gon_ds than I. If I had attempted to bring that incubator into the house it would have caused a terrifying experience!
    I have not used the incubator myself, as my wife would say my better judgment prevailed in the end. The people I got it from hatched many chicks, ducklings and turkeys with it. They used it to hatch call duck eggs, which I have heard are tricky to hatch? I would fire it up and check to see that temp is holding steady and fan & etc are working properly. You can get what amount to an owners manual online. I printed it off but don't know if I still have it somewhere?
    By the way, I suggest you be on the look out for falling coconuts. As will I.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Those are cute Holm. but do not fit into my plans at all. They are the Foofoo dogs of the chicken world.

I am thinking of separating my turkeys this week. I am going to leave JJ, Sidekick and Porter locked in the pen/turkey house 24/7. I am going to take my 6 young Toms that are headed to the freezer and kick them out. They never sleep in the house anyways, so they can fend for themselves in the cold. By doing that I can feed them shell corn and not the others. I want to fatten them and like Holm said corn is great at that. I do not care about the bad effects of pure corn on them as they are not going to get old enough for that to be a problem.

The days are getting longer and soon will start to get warmer. I do not want these 6 to get randy and decide to try and breed my hens.

BTW I am only on my second cup of coffee, I have another 4 to go so start posting!

10. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Ralph just think those foofoo chickens would be great on your yaht!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by