Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hahaha! [​IMG]

2. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Nope, no spear holes in him! Yeah, he was on the bottom similar to what you've seen. Came in and took my shiner. It always amazes me. The bass was Saturday.....on Sunday I watched a beautiful walleye come in and take my shiner. I had him up to the hole, but I slipped when I went to scoop it out of the water and it spit the hook with all the fumbling. I don't gaff them. I just sat there, hand in the water, heart beating a million beats per minute, and wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or cry. Ha hah! Oh well.....makes for a good story! As for spearing them, not worth the fine and losing all of my stuff. I have fished with folks that have "accidentally" speared bass and walleye as well. I've seen some very nice walleye come through the hole and I'm not gonna lie, my finger twitched on the spear. But, like I said, not worth it.

I was in Grand Rapids. My family has some land and a cabin up that way. Pokegama is my go to. Spider Lake is great for crappies this time of year as well. I'll be heading that way this wknd.

That's very cool! Not many people get a chance to experience that with their father and grandfatheer, so what great memories to have. What's the spud testing? I actually learned how to spear from my Grandpa. I use his spear and decoy when not together. He's 88 and still spears, but I think it's something he really enjoys watching me do more so nowadays. He eagerly listens to all of my fish stories even though he's been doing it for 70 years himself.

Here's a few pictures of him and I spearing together last year. Look how much thicker the ice was!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Washing machine repair man was just here. Washing machine fixed and currently in use... Of course. I was informed my pump was shot.

He didn't mention this and I think I'll not mention it to DH but this wet broken chicken feather was lying on top of the machine after he left.

#dirtylittlechickensecrets

:D

1 person likes this.
  4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    In our family we call the long handled ice chisel that you test ice with or chop open holes with a spud. I'm gathering this may be just a family term and not a Minnesota term for that tool. Lol. @MinnesotaNice

5. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

I know! I know! Please can I answer this one?

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    MinnesotaNice, I feel like you do on the "accidental spearing". Not worth the fine, Not worth losing 2-3 years of fishing privileges over a stupid fish.

I think it is great we can now fish in a dark house. When I was a kid we were not allowed to have a hook in the spear house. It was a huge no-no.

I like angling out of a dark house almost as much as spearing. Even sunnies are fun. I watch them go towards the hook, then back off, I find myself rooting for the fish to bite the hook. You learn so much about fish behavior through a spear hole.

Bummer on the walleye, I can imagine how fast your heart was beating having watched him enter the hole and finally take the hook. I have a small fly fishing type net I use when I fish in a dark house. It is pain but better than trying to grab a slimey fish.

I think you are right on the name "spud" BC, I had never heard them called that until you did, but I knew right away what you meant. I always use one or a single bladed axe on thinner ice. I have heard the term "spud used to mean solid down riggers like a spear though. For anchoring a boat or dock.

Are you sure the pump did not work once the mystery feather was removed? Some repairmen lie once in a while. Sort of like fisherman.

Minnesotanice You are so lucky to have a Grandpa at 88 that can still spear and fish! I hope I can do that with my grandkids in 25 more years! My grandpa lived to be 97 so there is hope.

Your family cabin is not that far from Togo, You will have to come further north and I will show you a real Northern lake. It is about 4 miles from our lake. I wish I had a cabin on it, northern are my favorite fish to catch and eat. If you want to find the lake on your own, go north to Effie turn towards Togo and when your get to the road turn north, then east then north then south.

7. lvie

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. The rooster that is. I love looking at the hens also. Simply gorgeous. Jealous me.

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Thanks and he is the perfect gentlemen to the ladies too.

But I cannot take any credit for him, EJB raised him and taught him everything Ed knows.

EJB where did you get the partridge chanticleer from, just curious because to my untrained eye they are perfect?

When you see chanticler spelled like that Spellcheck did it not me!

9. lvie

Hmmmm - more chickens? I wonder if the DH would build a second run/coop? Maybe I should just stay with the different coop layout I want in the present run. . . .
    Need to think about this carefully before I spill the apples out of the cart.

10. lvie

WE could ALL win on this lottery and still come out wwwaaayyy ahead. Then I would buy a farm! LOL! My DH would want some to build his 'shack' in Aitkin.

RALPHIE - Are you going to sell chicks from that roo and the new hens. Please put me on the list if you are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by