Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Remember how I said this week could be crazy or tame depending on how things went? Thing are turning more to the wild side

Sorry I'm not posting enough to entertain your coffee time ralphie

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    You can be forgiven once a year, BUT next week better be better. It is going to be cold next week and I will have nothing to do but drink coffee.

3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Next week should be better as my year end processing will wrap up by Friday. Insurance actuaries get real itchy about needing year end financial information as soon as possible.

What screws me is that since we are a financial institution there is all kinds of red tape and audit requirements and junk that keep me from doing things efficiently. Instead of dancing a beautiful dance that would result in everybody having what they need quickly, I have to tell somebody to tell somebody to tell somebody to tell somebody to do something and it results in a feeble attempt at the hokey pokey and my business partners asking my why the hell they don't have the things they need on time.

4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I believe they are bred to a hereford bull. This is their second calf they are about 3 years old. One of them did not nurse her calf the first time and it was lost despite the owners attempts. Hoping for better luck this time!

5. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    You are such an enabler!! You stinker!

1 person likes this.
  6. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Congrats on another upcoming girl and Spring puppy, Cyrus!

7. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Well, I survived my first spearing weekend of the season. Angled a nice 5 lb bass and speared two northern - a 7 pounder and little 4 pounder.

DH moved our 11 week old chicks out of the garage and into the big girl coop while I was gone. I planned on doing the "see but not touch" method, but he had different ideas I guess. I think he knew I was holding on a bit too tightly [​IMG] We turned the heater off in the garage once they were good and feathered then supplemented a heat lamp for a short period of time. After that, just the garage lights for day/night and welcome to Minnesota! I think the heat transition made a huge difference getting them adjusted to the outside temps. One of the Roosters we kept is very curious and everyone else follows him everywhere, so fingers are crossed it will remain a smooth transition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Nice throwing!

I am amazed at the bass through the ice. I have to say I was skeptical, so I enlarged the bass to look for holes, I did not see any, That is amazing. I have never caught one through the ice. Winter bass taste great. Someone I know, said they "accidentally speared" one once, and I (hanging head in shame), ate a piece of it.

BTW I doubt it was accidental. I have seen tons of bass in my spear holes, they move so slow and lay on the bottom. So anyways That is an amazing catch in my book.

Do you mind saying where you were?

BTW my Mouth is watering looking at those Northerns!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Congrats on the nice fish @MinnesotaNice . They are beautiful!
    The photo of the spear hole is great too. So Cool! My Dad used to set up Spear houses for Winter Resort guests. And when we didn't have customers he'd put each one of us girls in an dark house. Lots of fun for us it was. Watching that big hole was so mesmerizing. We'd have little wood stoves in there too...so it was always so cozy.

My Grandfather loved spearing too. In fact he didn't do much boat fishing but he was ALWAYS in the Spear house. He was half nuts about it and he'd be out on the ice testing it with a spud...way before he could get a house out. LOL. He'd pack lunches. Take naps in his house. It was his home away from home.

Ralphie: I as the main cooker in the house, dislike stuff on the dining table. And in the hallway. You should put it in the spare bedroom maybe? Maybe?

[​IMG] That way you can keep a REAL close eye on it all through the night..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  10. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Good luck. Our grandpa has a cow that beats the crap out of every calf it has. He just stands with her in a pen and she let the calf nurse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by