Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Oh, I had a terrible senior moment last night..

I looked out the window to go let the chickens out, and I saw a chicken running around. I forgot to lock the chicken door!

It is the turkeys fault. They were such bellybuttons about going into their pen. I had to chase a couple of them around the outside of the pen a couple times before they went in. I had a egg carton with a couple creamette eggs in it, that I was carrying with me, so I was worried about them.

I went into the layer coop and picked up one of the partridge Chanticler hens, they are now part of the main flock. They were sitting by themselves. I wanted to check their crops and see if they have been eating. The one I picked up, while holding the egg carton in my other hand had a crop about 1/4 full. So I set her by the feeder and she started eating. I went to get one and she ran from me. While escaping me one of my BA's let her have it a couple times. She then ran to the other PC and started eating too. I chased the BA away from her.

I did all this with one hand because of the Creamette eggs. Integrating into an established flock is so hard for a new bird. During this I obviously forgot to lock the chicken door. What an idiot! I hope they are all okay. no sense crying about it now, nothing I can do.

As soon as I can finish the appropriate number of cups of coffee, I am going to go check on them....... Which means I need posts to read, now...

2. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Ain't that the truth!!

Beautiful eggs. How much did it weigh? I figure my Diamond encrusted eggs cost about $1,432.63 each.

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I ran them dry and used that fogging spray for shutting down an engine. I did that on my boat motors too as I did not know how long they would be off for.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    60 grams - 2 1/8 ounces .

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    That is a big Creamette egg, the poor chick might need Preparation H !

My largest is only 69 grams and I think that is a double yolk. I had to go switch my scale to grams and compare my eggs. Most of mine are right around 50 grams.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    BTW Jerry I saw your picture of your Creamette roo, on the EE thread. Nice looking bird!

7. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    That one is only 1/2 . Pea/single comb and beard . I have my creamett / leghorn rooster in there now . When they get laying good and we hit a warm spell I will set some eggs . Only want some pullets from that . Trying to get them to my standards for laying and hatching . I never have wanted to wait for someone else to do things . I have a silver/ gold rose comb Icelandic in there also . It was a gift so a source of rose comb . Nice white earlobes and yellow leg plus crest . Good fit .

8. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    I figure a little Viking chicken blood might be good . [​IMG]

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Just wait until I get my colored egg laying Partridge Chanticlers, of course that is a few years away.

10. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    MN

Good for you! I saw your ad on Craigslist yesterday. I figured it was yours. Chances are pretty good that you are the only one in this town hatching out Legbars right now. ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by