Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

This guy is coming from Afton to get these. I checked all the cities and did not see any other Creamettes being hatched. As much as I complain about them they have finally gotten into laying a goodly number of eggs. But I am still going to get rid of them. the single comb birds are going to be a thing of the past around here.

My poor BA rooster has comb frostbite and waddle frostbite he looks pathetic. I feel so bad for him. He is sleeping in a nest box, and I am allowing it for now, that's how sorry I feel for him.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  2. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    well then it sounds like you set yourself up for success! way to go, past ralphie!!

elimitating single combs is excluding your toads and such, right?

3. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    it may be sub zero outside but the sun is shining! that means all 3 of my southern exposure windows are occupied. one for each pup and one for me! I am kind of like superman, i need to absorb lots of sunlight to keep up my powers

1 person likes this.
  4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I wish the toads did not have single combs. but they do not seem to be as affected by frostbite for some reason..
    I will not get rid of them. I should have been more precise, I meant in my laying flock.

I doubt I could get rid of the combs and have the prenominal growth rate and size I get from them. I need my BIG birds.

5. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I think my CX hen got a little nip on her wattles OR somebody pecked it. she had it scratched bloody about a week ago. I suspected it was from dipping in the water while drinking.

She recovered quickly on her own though, so fortunately no medical assistance was needed.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    There is no sun here. I am guessing we have 10 miles visibility and an indeterminate ceiling ( that means sort of overcast).

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    My Cx hens are doing great, but they cannot dip their waddles in my waterer without working hard to do it. Bert Jr has a little frostbite but not bad. my BA is the worst. The Creamettes are not great either, but better than BA.

8. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    That just makes the cold even worse

9. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I hope to go buy that grain wagon tomorrow. very excited!

I decided that even if i dont mill my own feed that would be a handy wagon around the farm for hauling brush or firewood or whatever.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I agree!

I am looking for a dump box for my truck or a trailer. I actually would like a slip in, but the ones I have seen so far on craigslist are real beat up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by